What cog combination is ideal for a road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
agree with this for sure - been riding a lot across cheshire last couple of years - have the impression that the greatest incline is probably taken care of by the Anderton boat lift.

Don't you find the top of 42 a bit low if your only bike?
Not really, I'm 16 stone, so pedalling is always a struggle.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not really, I'm 16 stone, so pedalling is always a struggle.
Don't listen to him - he rides away from me as if he isn't even trying! :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I had a 14-34T 5 speed Suntour freewheel back in 1981 and I'm sure they were around a good few years before that. The long cage of my Suntour VGT rear mech took care of the chain length.
yes I have 5 speed freewheels on two 80's bike that are 14-28T. one is paired with a 50/40/30 triple so quite decent for attacking hills for a vintage bike. Both were marketed "touring" models though. Race bikes back in those days came with corn cobs

freiston

Veteran
yes I have 5 speed freewheels on two 80's bike that are 14-28T. one is paired with a 50/40/30 triple so quite decent for attacking hills for a vintage bike. Both were marketed "touring" models though. Race bikes back in those days came with corn cobs
The bike I had came with (iirc) a 14-28 block and a Shimano 600 rear mech. Chainset was the ubiquitous (on so many low-mid priced bikes of the day) 42/52 combination. I replaced the block and rear mech with the 14-34 and the Suntour VGT to make my bike more touring-friendly - still not as friendly as your 14-28 with 50/40/30 though :smile:

Top Bottom