What could I possibly do in this situation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
When going over this bridge:https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=rh...=Csds0n3586Ce7huMG5dAOg&cbp=12,319.31,,0,4.34
I encountered a problem which I hadnt before reecently. It was in the evening and the traffic was light to moderate. I had gone through the lights following traffic ahead of me, but that pulled away before I got to the top of the bridge. There was no traffic following me up.
When I got to the top, I noticed a car approaching from the rear. I thought that as it was the evening and I was in primary and out of the pedals, he would see me and wait behind.
At this point, I was now on the flat top of the bridge and a shoulder check confirmed that he was coming at me at some speed. When I shoulder checked again, I saw him veer away from me and towards oncoming traffic whilst slamming on his brakes.

At the traffic lights at the bottom of the bridge, I stopped and turned around to see the guy acting like nothing had happened.

The problem that I have is that this bridge has been a real problem with regards to the incidents I have had on it.

You can see the whole length of the bridge by watching this video from 0:00 to 0:05

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj3TX2ys5yo

You can also see the bridge from the opposing direction. From 0:25 to 0:44. (This video shows you how flat it is at the top.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlIoGQS5FVE

So what should I do? Should I bypass this bridge and go over this: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=h+...=4d6-oAh91A58Cjm6uRbWUA&cbp=12,286.61,,0,7.56 ?
I need to know as I have adopted a strong primary and I have encountered a lot of beeping and tailgating whilst I am riding.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Best thing to do, not react at all. But not always the easiest to do.

p.s. if you are going to put text in the video, avoid putting adverts on it. as it covers the text.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Ah right, gotta. You could always close the advert though?
It means closing the advert and then going back and seeing what the text was.

Out of interest, what number do you get if you take how many views you have got in the past 30 days and divide it by the estimated earnings. (this data is taken from the analytics page of your youtube channel, it should be visible in the default view).
It gives an idea of how well your adverts perform.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
:sad: My videos only have adverts after they are around a week old or if they have been specifically cut together to generate views.

Make your bed and all that Gaz.
Sorry mate.
But I simply refuse to watch vIds by people that have ads. You my friend are on the banned list.
Which is a shame as you do make the best ones..

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It means closing the advert and then going back and seeing what the text was.

Out of interest, what number do you get if you take how many views you have got in the past 30 days and divide it by the estimated earnings. (this data is taken from the analytics page of your youtube channel, it should be visible in the default view).
It gives an idea of how well your adverts perform.
TBH I get too little to actually be worth putting adverts on. The most popular vid I have seems to be when a cyclist got knocked into by a car. I dont think I will do it anymore as I am unable to generate the views that you seem to.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Make your bed and all that Gaz.
Sorry mate.
But I simply refuse to watch vIds by people that have ads. You my friend are on the banned list.
Which is a shame as you do make the best ones..

Off topic - I should point out that most of the ads are chosen by Youtube thesedays. I havent signed up for earnings on mine but ads still appear at times. Usually in the video window itself.

EDIT: and I'll point out the oddity of seeing a "single muslim dating" agency pop up on one of my vids recently. A very weird sight on any video

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
TBH I get too little to actually be worth putting adverts on. The most popular vid I have seems to be when a cyclist got knocked into by a car. I dont think I will do it anymore as I am unable to generate the views that you seem to.
That is why you divide it by your views, it tells you how many views you need to get to earn just a $1 for advertising..
And it allows you to compare against everyone, your performance probably isn't as good as some of us getting nearly 100,000 views a month.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That is why you divide it by your views, it tells you how many views you need to get to earn just a $1 for advertising..
And it allows you to compare against everyone, your performance probably isn't as good as some of us getting nearly 100,000 views a month.

And how much are you getting paid for the advertising?

StuartG

slower but further
And I hate/avoid those intrusive ads too. I do use Adsense on my websites so I'm not against ads per se. But 'in yer face' is not the way to go if your objective is to inform/educate.

IMHO if its to make money you really shouldn't be pluggin'em here without a disclaimer.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
And how much are you getting paid for the advertising?
Not enough to pay my mobile phone bill every month, but enough to warrant their use on the videos which attract the most views.

I know some will think that people will just make videos / situations so they can get money from the adverts. Putting your self in danger so you can earn peanuts is just fracking stupid.

To earn anything 'decent' you need to have a lot of subscribers and generate a hell of a lot of views. If you start making videos for the sake of it, you will loose your subscriber count and your viewer count, which in turn drops the amount of money you earn.

I'm personally using the money I get to make the quality of my final product better and driving it into projects that will help the video camera community grow and become closer.

Top Bottom