what crank circa late 60s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daysnways

I've started looking around for a crank, most likely single ring for my Stallard frame.

Not sure what it was fitted with originally, the groupset was Huret.

I've seen a similar bike fitted with a Williams splined crank, but that looks pricey as they didn't make many (must have been one of the first splined cranks I'd have thought)...there are a myriad of other Williams cranks that could do the job, however having researched them a little have been rather put off by one of their old, very racist adverts, i know it was a different time, but blimey!

So I'm thinking Stronglight or TA, these would both sit well, as PTS was well known for using French components and was very influenced by French frame design etc.

I suppose a Campy Nuovo whatever might be nice too.

I'd prefer to stay away from Japanese on this build as my Knight will be all Japanese.

Anyone have any experience of any of the above in terms of quality etc.

tah

midlife

Guru
Stronglight and TA would both look OK. TA did a 3 arm jobby which looks nice :smile:

Just be prepared for a bit of hit and miss choosing a BB axle :smile:

OP
OP
daysnways

daysnways

Stronglight and TA would both look OK. TA did a 3 arm jobby which looks nice :smile:

Just be prepared for a bit of hit and miss choosing a BB axle :smile:

great tah, i've seen the 3 arm TA looks good, and relatively inexpensive, care to elaborate on the BB thing, (eager to learn).

midlife

Guru
TA and Stronglight were a bit of a law unto themselves, they had their own size of crank extractor and the BB axles were meant to be their own sizes. Having said that we used them on both Campag and Jap axles without them falling off! Had to use the proper extractor though.

OP
OP
daysnways

daysnways

TA and Stronglight were a bit of a law unto themselves, they had their own size of crank extractor and the BB axles were meant to be their own sizes. Having said that we used them on both Campag and Jap axles without them falling off! Had to use the proper extractor though.

thanks for the heads up,....I'll buy the crank and throw it and the frame at the bike shop feigning ignorance and ignore the phone calls...lol...

wonderdog

Be warned that Stronglight extractor threads are a bastard size ... you won't have to look far to find what it is but it is slightly larger than its TA relative. You may also consider the earlier three armed Nervar unit which came in a range of guises - cottered steel cranks and chainrings where the double rings were riveted together, and a cotterless version in alloy. Quite well-made.

Top Bottom