What crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earwin

I have FSA Gossamer Compact, 50/34T and I want to change to 6800 Ultegra crankset. my bike is small / medium size.ize of crankset should I get?

T

uclown2002

Guru
Do you mean crank length? i.e 170, 172.5, 175mm?
My medium came with 170mm but when I upgraded groupset I put 172.5mm on to match other bike; doubt you'd notice the difference.

Or do you mean 50/34T or something different?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Whats the BB on the Gossamer - I think they do them in BB30 and other configs? if it's BB30 you could get adapter cups to utilise the existing BB and allow fitting of a HTII chainset. Had to do that in the summer with mine and worked a treat - quite easy to install.

Last edited:
FSA Gossamer cranksets are for press fit (usually BB or PF30) bottom bracket standards. The Ultegra 6800 is optimised for 11 speed set ups, with Shimano Hollowtech 2 bottom brackets. If you want the Ultegra cranks and rings, you will have to get a press fit / Hollowtech BB adaptor first. I'm in the process of upgrading from Gossamer with a metal PF30 to Ultegra 6700 ( 10 speed) with adapted ceramic PF30 at the moment I've gone for 175mm crank arms, but I have got quite long legs, and my bike has a 57.5 cm frame. The Ultegra chainset is a much nicer bit of kit, but it's not the easiest of jobs for the unwary.

adscrim

Veteran
FSA make Gossamer cranksets for a number of different BB standards and not just 'internal' systems like BB30 and PF30. I think, if the crankset you have is the FSA megaExo type, an ultegra crankset may fit the existing bottom bracket. Otherwise you'll need the adapter.

FSA make Gossamer cranksets for a number of different BB standards and not just 'internal' systems like BB30 and PF30. I think, if the crankset you have is the FSA megaExo type, an ultegra crankset may fit the existing bottom bracket. Otherwise you'll need the adapter.
Good point, I'd forgotten about the megaExo BB. Also probably worth a mention, is that if you do go for an adapted 'external' system, you should have the frame 'faced'. You can get a facing tool quite easily, but (unless you've done it before) I'd leave that job to the LBS, if I were you.

Top Bottom