What CX Bike Models do you know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaa

I'm after a new ( Used!) bike and I have decided on cyclocross.

Can anyone please list Good CX bike Models you know?
I have a budget of around £150-£500 (not really a set budget,just depends on what is on offer on fleabay? Basically looking for something that has been £600-£1200+ when new and has good bits to it)

I'm currently looking at some boardman CX / Specialized Tricross / Ridley various models.
Needs: ability to mount a rack for panniers,mudguards,bottle.

What other GOOD CX models you can suggest?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Go for something with hydro disc brakes, rather than mechanical.
There are literally oodles to choose from, virtually every brand you have heard of and loads you haven't do CX bikes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Also lumped in with CX bikes are ‘gravel’ ‘adventure’ and ‘do it all’ bikes, geometry varying slightly. I bought a used Specialized AWOL recently and have been very happy with it. Takes up to 50c rubber, plenty of braze ons. More relaxed ride than a CX. They now offer the Sequoia which is the same apart from a carbon fork. I’d recommend something with a steel frame, also mechanical discs are just as effective as hydraulic ones and one less thing to go wrong when you might be in the middle of nowhere.
I bought it for very little money but someone had fitted it with some low quality components and straight bars which I had to replace.
You might not get all the fittings you want on a strictly CX bike.
B07112F1-08ED-4536-8024-4E9A95BE8AC6.jpeg

Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
Always been happy with my Tricross. It was £700 back in 2009 and now I see them advertised (but not necessarily selling) for £250 - £300. The ones that have bids seem to be around the £100 mark. You could get a bargain!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
also mechanical discs are just as effective as hydraulic ones and one less thing to go wrong when you might be in the middle of nowhere.
]
I know its just opinions, but I strongly disagree with this. Cheap mechanical discs are awful and offer less braking power than rim brakes, and harder to adjust / set up. Even good ones like Avid BB7s aren't as good as a cheap hydraulic set up.
Hydro's apart from needing a bleed/ service every maybe 3 years or so depending on use, are fit and forget and much better power and modulation.

that said if the OP mainly intend to go on road with roady tyres, then rim brakes are fine, as then your braking power is limited by the tyres ability to grip the road rather than the brakes ability to stop the wheel.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Well, I can only speak as I find and I’ve just got some cheap Tektro 10 calipers on mine and they’re as sharp as a pin. I was going to change them for some TRP Spyres on but there is really no need. What will increase stopping power is disc diameter, the 180 on the front is noticeably more effective than the 160 on the back.

Well, I can only speak as I find and I’ve just got some cheap Tektro 10 calipers on mine and they’re as sharp as a pin. I was going to change them for some TRP Spyres on but there is really no need. What will increase stopping power is disc diameter, the 180 on the front is noticeably more effective than the 160 on the back.

The main thing I've found with hydraulics is the lever feel and the Sram rivel set-up is way better than the Spyres I had.

As for CX bikes if buying now I'd be looking at a Ridley :whistle::rolleyes: but I've had good service from my Planet X XLS though.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I like my CAADX and despite being a proper cx bike it has rack and guard mounts

Top Bottom