What did I do wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacLean

So I was here at the weekend training for LEJOG.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...0G4wiqLYDvltulbcr9wxNQ&cbp=12,287.65,,0,19.47

The lights were on red and given there is no cycle lane or ASL or anything like that, I was in the left lane to go straight on. As there were 2 or 3 cars queued up already at the red I began slowing and took primary of the lane. As im comming up to the car at the back of the Q a guy comes past swipes in front of me, taking position behind the car forcing me to secondry to avoid being hit, and shouts 'get off the f'ing road pal' as he passes. So I go up the side lean in the window and shout quite asertivly to him 'WHAT WAS THAT' and he doesnt say a word and just keeps looking straight ahead ignoring me.

I feel a strong sense of I should have shouted a load of shoot at him but I just kinda lent back out and carried on. Really fat bugger he was aswell.

Going by my description, without laying into me, did I really do anything wrong here? Im a relative novice at city riding but have driven for long enough to at least have road sense and cant help but think its just a guy with a grudge against bikes?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Nothing wrong, well done for leaving the situation as you did, i probably wouldn't have lol.

You did well to take primary in the traffic, not many cyclists would do this, but i feel it puts you in a good position to start off again, and you should be visible. the guy was just an arse.

RRCC

Guru
You did it right, secondary would have invited a left hook. I might have been tempted to take primary in the middle lane to get some space and protection (by the cars in the left lane) from cars joining at the junction.

There is no cycle path (not that it would be worth using here) so the driver was just a complete tosser.

OP
OP
M

MacLean

I think the reason I didnt shout anything is because it was such a shock...

I've driven for a few years and have seen all the dangerous mistakes people can make, and you know fair enough mistakes happen....

But being new to riding in the city, im just so shocked that people can be so malicious to you just because your on a bike. This was deffinetly no mistake, he was making a point that he had something against me....

At the time I was just in shock because I've only ever experienced mistakes, not deliberate actions of dangerous aggression towards me. And I guess at the time I doubted myself and didnt really know if I was in the wrong or not!

Just quite a shame that when you go out to try and push yourslef and raise some money for charity (IE doing the lejog), you get horrible fat buggers trying to run you off the road...

Guess you lot are used to this stuff though lol

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Note: a D-lock makes an excellent bludgeon.

Origamist

Legendary Member
You were on a bike in the centre of the lane - quite a few motorists find this behaviour inconsiderate and a smaller proportion of motorists find this behaviour provocative and, as a consequence, try to teach you a lesson in road postioning.

I'm afraid you'll have to get used to dealing with the odd prick from time to time.

OP
OP
M

MacLean

Origamist said:
I'm afraid you'll have to get used to dealing with the odd prick from time to time.

Yep well in my last few months of training i've encountered plenty of horn beepers and people shouting out their windows etc but this was my first situation where I actually had to swerve to avoid being hit. Really was a new league of prick I've not yet encountered before.

But you're quote there is something im gonna keep in mind for future ;)

plank

It happened a while ago to me and the guy actually got out of his car and continued shouting. I didn't have anything to say because I was so surprised.

The only thing I wish I did differently was remembered his numberplate and reported it to the police.

OP
OP
M

MacLean

plank said:
It happened a while ago to me and the guy actually got out of his car and continued shouting. I didn't have anything to say because I was so surprised.

The only thing I wish I did differently was remembered his numberplate and reported it to the police.

Wow, thats when it could easily get physical if you shouted back! Did he just fizzle out and get in and carry on or was there any threats or anything?

I think if your new then the shock at first kind paralizes you? But after some time I think(hope) you develop a thick skin to it and either not care as much or tell them to piss off or something lol.

The annoying thing about the reporting option is that I doubt much will get done will it? Unless you catch something really serious on camera?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It was all your fault Maclean.

If you were not a healthy, altruistic individual who was minding his own business, maybe the driver would not have had a negative self-perception. His only weapon against you was a two-tonne metal box to defend himself.

Those pesky cyclists, really do know how to wind up poor drivers don't they?

Top Bottom