What disc brake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plantfit

Guru
Stupid question I know, what size disc brake rotor will I need on the rear wheel of my Q26, Just thought I would fit one as I already have a spare caliper and it would be just right to be used as a parking brake as opposed to the supplied velcro straps. many thanks in advance

Roger

byegad

Legendary Member
My QNT 20" rear wheel has a 160mm disc IIRC and that's more than enough brake for the job.

byegad

Legendary Member
Just a word on callipers. The AVID BB5 is fine for a parking brake controlled by a long movement device, I use an old seven speed gear changer, but for normal use with a brake lever and for use in the move the BB5 is a poor brake needing lots of fiddling to get set right and not easy to keep adjusted. The BB7 is a much much better brake, easier to set up, keep adjusted and, with a much larger pad, it needs less hand effort for a given braking effect.

BenM

Veteran
I swapped the normal brakes on the Orca for BB7s. Best thing I have done since buying the 'bent :smile: stop quicker than a quick thing now, though not as quick as I would if they were hydraulic, complete with delightful squeaks (they were quiet - guess I need to readjust them a bit now!)

OP
OP
P

plantfit

Guru
well I've fitted the disc parking brake, Clarkes disc and caliper £30.00, 7 speed Shimano indexed gear changer complete with cable £5.00 from LBS spares box and 1 hour in the bike shed, works perfect, fitted to left side handle bar under brake/gear lever, 3 clicks of parking brake lever and the wheel is locked.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions

Roger

Top Bottom