What do I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Hello everyone!

New guy from God's own county and a new cyclist.
Considered taking the plunge into cycling for a while now. Wrong side of 40 and realising how unfit I am. Considered cycling to be one of the best methods of getting some exercise, losing a bit of weight and getting fitter.
Trawled the net for a decent 2nd hand bike but couldn't find one. After much recommendation opted for a B'Twin Triban 3 recently. Obviously cycling time seriously restricted due to bad weather, just had the few very short excursions. Looking forward to better weather and getting in the saddle.

New bike, helmet, gloves and padded shorts. Making do with other gear until I get some proper gear sorted out but here for the long run and very keen to become a regular cyclist.

adamangler

Veteran
Welcome. just started cycling properly myself a few of weeks ago, im in wakefield.
The weather look set to be horrible next few days around here, just bought a turbo trainer to get a bit of fitness in whilst its raining, although havent used it yet...

paul04

Über Member
Welcome to the website. Glad you have made the first step in getting a bike. I started myself in august this year. so still quite new to it.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Thanks for the welcome guys!
Haven't been for a ride for a while due to the horrendous weather we've been having. Gagging to get back out and build up the mileage.
Eribiste. To you I probably do talk a bit odd. Never once called anyone a geezer during normal conversation! Never owned a flat cap and to the best of my knowledge, nobody I know owns a whippet.:laugh:

Sithee abart

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Welcome :cheers:

I see you didn't deny having a pigeon loft :whistle:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's grim up North .... just get out there!
Welcome, there are no bad days, just bad kit :ohmy: Well it's kinda true ...
Looks like you've started well, the Triban is a great bit of kit but keep an eye on the wheels, spoke tension and bearing roughness. Tension is easily corrected in a good bike shop for little money, roughness can be cured by new cones and bearings, again fairly cheap. For all it's value, wheels seem to be the Triban's achilles heel, but are easily fixed. Other than that it's a great bike.
Kitwise, Decathlon is a very good place to start as is Wiggles own dhb kit. As soon as you feel confident go for clipless pedals (SPD SL) and get a copy of Cyclecraft by Franklin to help stay alive on the roads.
Other than that, you've made a good choice to start cycling, and there's plenty advice here.
FF

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome: OnTheDrops!
Rain is not gonna stop any time soon ... get out there on your bike, soaked like the rest of us! ;)

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Greetings fellow Tyke!!

Which of our Counties are you from (& which city/town/village?)
Hi, I'm from the west and based in Fax (Halifax to those of a southern disposition!) :wahhey: You'll understand me when I say it's a bit hilly round here! :wacko:

Apart from the beginners section, where do all the road bike threads live please? Haven't really had the chance to nose round the forum much.

Top Bottom