What do I need to do ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kezza1970

Kezza1970

Shoes wise I use to cycle in normal basic trainers, they were very flexible mid-foot and I found mid-foot, side foot pain built up the more I rode the bike. I'm not advocating going clip less as it is very personal, but cycling shoes do tend to be stiffer, and getting a stiff soled shoe can help massively with foot pain in trainers.
Exactly the pain I'm getting ! Mid foot / side foot !! I changed shoes on fri and found a massive difference - although when I tried to put heels on to go to a wedding yesterday - pain was there again ??

OP
OP
Kezza1970

Kezza1970

I get lots of upper body ails and backache. I have poor core stability, that's something to work on in the gym, perhaps Pilates :smile:

And get an expert bike fit on the bike you'll be riding, preferably by someone with a physiotherapy background, not just someone who has done a 2 day fitting course on whichever computer based system. I'm assuming you take the bike with you, they don't provide one when you get there? You say the bike is borrowed, is it the right size? If not, you might want to consider buying one that is right for you. A badly fitting bike can cause chronic injuries that come on insidiously. Personally I've ended up with tennis elbow and I've now got bicipital tendonitis, may not be solely due to cycling but my poor posture won't be helping

Well fitting cycling shoes of the touring variety and clipless pedals may help your feet. Should be part of the bike fit
The bike I supplied once we get there - we just take our seats with us - however I'm doing this with a friend who has cycled Kenya with the same organisation as this trip and she said the team that supports us are all great and she had no issues with the bike she was given on that occasion so fingers crossed - all the replies I've had point me in the same direction to start with tbh - get my bike and me checked which I'm going to do ASAP. !!

OP
OP
Kezza1970

Kezza1970

You will find that ride interesting, I guess you will only be cycling about 30-40 miles a day, so your training so far is ok, road wise in Vietnam can be hard work, all sort of problems, like cyclist and motorcyclist ride the wrong way on the roads. In Cambodia the roads have vastly improved now so that is not a problem and I guess the organisers have arranged a route to make live easier for your guys. regarding shoes when I ride in South East Asia, I wear sandals, reason is because it rains and rains very hard, and shoes get sodden whereas sandals drain off quickly.. and one final point it get HOT and humid, so be prepared to get yourself hydrated.
Thanks for the tips !!
The whole trip seems pretty well organised and I'm looking forward to the experience - gosh what a mixture of weather - sandals never occurred to me tbh !! I was expecting it to be humid etc but will defo bear sandals in mind - and the other moving obstacles !!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hey - thanks for all the tips and info !! How completely naive I am - I thought I could just pop along to a bike shop and they would check me out - for free !!! will get my bike out and do the things you suggest and see where I am !
Thanks for the advice !!
Haha, not at all. You wouldn't believe the difference between local bike shops. Some do a huge amount of stuff for free, others won't so much as look at the bike without charging. It is after all a business and they need to pay staff etc. sometimes new bikes come with a free bike fit and also a free first service, maybe check that out with them.

On the home fitting front, if you try the steps I mention regards seat height, just make sure you can reach the pedal with your heel and don't need to tilt your pelvis in any way to do so, rocking from side to side to reach a pedal stroke is bad news.

So, bum flat, back straight (not bent to one side or another),leg extended, no bend in the knee = good saddle height...ish.

If you want to adjust anything else, like how far forward or back the seat is, then let us know, there here are a few home brew methods (involving a piece of string and a small weight) that will ensure your seat and knees are in the correct position.

Having said all of this, I am mindful of your original symptoms. A painful outer foot suggests I'll fitting shoes, or perhaps poor foot alignment. Decent shoes, with a clipped in position could help. Dodgy shoulders suggests incorrect headset/stem position but could also mean your saddle is tilted. So make sure the saddle is parallel to the ground. When you then lean forward to reach the hoods of the bars (the bits over the brakes), then your elbows should be slightly bent (not locked) and your shoulders loose, not hunched.

Personally,I suspect the shoulder issue is quite simply a case of getting used to having to raise your chin to see where you are going and is placing a new pressure on the back of your neck. MTB's offer a more upright ride style, so this change will doubtless make your neck ache at your shoulders...for a while.

If I carry a heavy rucksack, I still get a ache in my niche today.

The standard hand position for cruising along is on the brake hoods. Place these at a comfortable location for a cruising position. You don't need to be as aerodynamic as possible, comfort is just as important, if not more so.
You can set the bars higher and adjust your reach by selection of stem. An adjustable stem is really useful for finding your ideal position.

You can also adjust the position of your brake levers on the bars, up and down, and in rotation. You need to remove bar tape to set this.
Bars come in various widths to match shoulder width (std male = 42cm bars), also in various drop depths, shallower being better for touring. The shape of the bend varies, from simple curve to an elliptical shape, very comfy in a short-drop bar.
3TTT brand make the widest variety of fittings.

Check your frame size, saddle height and fore-aft setting, THEN the bar position.

Thanks for the tips !!
The whole trip seems pretty well organised and I'm looking forward to the experience - gosh what a mixture of weather - sandals never occurred to me tbh !! I was expecting it to be humid etc but will defo bear sandals in mind - and the other moving obstacles !!
I would suggest, looking at some of the journals on https://www.crazyguyonabike.com do a search for Vietnam or Cambodia, and read some of the stories which will give you a good idea what others use, and it will give you a flavour of riding in both countries which in my opinion are quite different. And get used to little children calling "hello Hello give me money.".LOL last time we were in Siem Reap, a young girl of 13-14 asked us to buy her baby. Overall the people are nice and friendly, but a lot are very very poor, and you might wonder if the money you collect might be better used in helping them out of their wretchedness.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Have you got a Cycles UK near to you?
I ask because the manager of our branch, did a basic cycle fit for free. He said the company ethos was to get people cycling and keep cyclists cycling. People are not going to keep riding, upgrading bikes, buying bike related bits and bobs if they are in pain.

It might be worth a wander down and asking the question.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Have you got a Cycles UK near to you?
I ask because the manager of our branch, did a basic cycle fit for free. He said the company ethos was to get people cycling and keep cyclists cycling. People are not going to keep riding, upgrading bikes, buying bike related bits and bobs if they are in pain.

It might be worth a wander down and asking the question.
Top tip.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Top company too..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Does anyone know exactly what the link is between Cycles UK and the pre-SportsDirect Universal Cycles? (A multi-badge producer of run-of-the-mill bikes which made much of being based in Rayleigh...)

Top Bottom