What Do I Need To Shorten The Stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
It could be that the bike is just too big for you, in which case you would be better off getting a smaller one. Obviously, not what you want to hear, but if your bike setup is anything like the one in the photo and you still feel overstretched, then that might well be the case.
I measured myself and asked re the sizing and both myself and the retailer agreed it would be fine.
The point of me using it is I can't afford another bike/hybrid bike I want :sad:
I'll see how I go with the suggestions.
Thinking about it, I do have a long inside leg but am shorter in the body, so that may be the issue!

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
Oh I often ride then drink beer....I find it helps the pain when I fall off the MTB....which I did last Thursday....:laugh:

View attachment 84180

Is it just me or does your bruise look like @classic33 's face??

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I measured myself and asked re the sizing and bot myself and the retailer agreed it would be fine.
The point of me using it is I can't afford another bike/hybrid bike I want :sad:
I'll see how I go with the suggestions.
Thinking about it, I do have a long inside leg but am shorter in the body, so that may be the issue!
Unfortunately, the bike should be fitted to the body, NOT the legs. You can put the saddle up and down, and backwards and forwards, but it is only easy for you to move the bars further away. They are already way closer than they would be on most bikes. I hope you CAN find an ultrashort stem to fix the problem, but I think an eventual part-ex for a smaller bike might be the best solution.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Unfortunately, the bike should be fitted to the body, NOT the legs. You can put the saddle up and down, and backwards and forwards, but it is only easy for you to move the bars further away. They are already way closer than they would be on most bikes. I hope you CAN find an ultrashort stem to fix the problem, but I think an eventual part-ex for a smaller bike might be the best solution.
You're probably right.
I think that normally this wouldn't be an issue for me but the arthritis in my neck means it's more difficult for me to stretch even a little forward, like most people can, without pain :sad:
Unfortunately I didn't have this issue last year when I bought the bike.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You're probably right.
I think that normally this wouldn't be an issue for me but the arthritis in my neck means it's more difficult for me to stretch even a little forward, like most people can, without pain :sad:
Unfortunately I didn't have this issue last year when I bought the bike.
I'm sorry to hear that!

There definitely are solutions though. There is an elderly woman who lives locally who does long distance audax rides (200+ km!) and she clearly has major back/neck issues because she has her bars about 18 inches higher than her saddle by means of a super-long stem extension!

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'm sorry to hear that!

There definitely are solutions though. There is an elderly woman who lives locally who does long distance audax rides (200+ km!) and she clearly has major back/neck issues because she has her bars about 18 inches higher than her saddle by means of a super-long stem extension!
Yeah it's a pain. Even with the arthritis in my upper and lower spine & neck, I find it quite comfortable on the MTB, but a 30 mile ride is my limit.
I want to be able to go a bit further, hence the hybrid.
It's not going to stop me, I'll just have to find a way :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I actually think you'd find a Dutch bike comfortable:

551002?$pd_zoom$.jpg

ayceejay

Guru
Is that picture your bike scolass or one like it?
That one looks odd to me the height of the saddle - handlebars.
The suggestion of non straight handlebars is a consideration worth considering as this will not only move you closer but will change your arm/shoulder position.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Is that picture your bike scolass or one like it?
That one looks odd to me the height of the saddle - handlebars.
The suggestion of non straight handlebars is a consideration worth considering as this will not only move you closer but will change your arm/shoulder position.
That's a stock photo. I only have one of mine taken out on a ride but it's at a distance.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Remove handlebars from stem .
Undo the bolt in the centre of stem
Turn 180 degrees.
Tighten
Refit handlebars and adjust to suit.
I think that's a brilliant idea @ScotiaLass I'm actually going to try it on the bike that I had fitted curved handlebars to get them nearer.
Thing is I prefer straight bars on that bike - if it works you can have my curved bars.

Pat "5mph"

I was going to try it too Pat but I still think I may prefer curved bars anyway :smile:
You can have mine for sure: I had already decided to fit the straight ones back.
Ah, us girls, we treat our bikes like our clothes ... we like them, buy them, don't like them anymore! :laugh:

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
You can have mine for sure: I had already decided to fit the straight ones back.
Ah, us girls, we treat our bikes like our clothes ... we like them, buy them, don't like them anymore! :laugh:
:laugh:
I just want to be comfortable as I really want to go further and it's too much on the MTB.
I can't afford the sports hybrid I'd like (£700) so I'll have to get on with it until my lottery win :biggrin:

Pat "5mph"

:laugh:
I just want to be comfortable as I really want to go further and it's too much on the MTB.
I can't afford the sports hybrid I'd like (£700) so I'll have to get on with it until my lottery win :biggrin:
Don't tell anybody: last year I bought the sports hybrid I fancied - cost me a fortune! never really got on with it, pulled a muscle in my back riding it, now I got a new frame, changing over the components, cost me more money and more hassle :laugh:

Top Bottom