What do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Triggster

Hello new here and trying to get 'back' into cycling.

I've had a look and the carrerra subway seems the best choice. I'd be mainly sticking to the roads gravel paths around the local national trust property and possibly dirt tracks through a field.

The bike seems good value at £200 and the colour looks great, hope to order today as the offer ends later. Only problem is I have no kit at all. I'll probably need to pick myself up a helmet, any recommendations?

Also those trips computers interest me being a bit of a geek, any recommendations?

As for the bike itself, is there anything you can do to improve it out of the box? Mudguards or better tyres, saddles, pedals etc?

Hope to put it together myself to learn a bit about them.

(PS, like the way the forum picked up my avatar from Battlelog. :biggrin:)

lejogger

Guru
First of all... :welcome:

A few chaps on here rate the Carreras, and I have a couple of mates who own the Subway. They seem solid and good value.

I use the Cateye Strada Wireless on both my bikes for trip functionality. They're a pretty middle of the road option, but being wireless makes it a lot less fiddly to set up. I'd definitely recommend it. I'm a stats geek too... there just doesn't seem to be any point to cycling if you're not going to record mileage, times and average speed on a spreadsheet afterwards! :whistle:

Mudguards are adviseable if you're going to be using it all year round but shouldn't be a priority initially at this time of year unless you can get a good deal (famous last words). I'd advise just getting out and enjoying it to begin with, and then after a few hundred miles you'll know if you need to make subtle changes to certain areas.
I would recommend a decent pair of bib shorts or undershorts with padding however as if you've been out of the saddle a while it can take a bit of time to 'toughen up'!

Hope you enjoy it!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Computers, nice if you want to see how far you have gone and how fast but a basic one from wilkos will do the job just as well if you just want that sort of information.

Saddle on the subway is adequate but a bit soft , servicable enough but if uou do not get on with it a charge spoon seems to be a saddle of choice on here.

Tyres, again nothing wrong with them , if your going to change them for your sort of riding it depends on your budget, you can go for semi slicks like a city jet for about a tenner each but you will lose off road traction and gain speed on the tarmac or i have just got some continental travel contacts on mine but they are not cheap ! offering a combination of semi slick with grippier shoulders for the dirty stuff.

helemets, i use a giro skyline which for the money offeed great venting , nice fit and you can get them off ebay for half the price of halfords.

For shorts i use decathlon 3 rated shorts ,£8 each which are very comfy , they also do more casual looking clothing / undershorts if you do not like they lycra look.

When i had my subway i put half toe clips on that held the foot in a bit better but i could still get my foot in and out easily .
Finally , play around with your bike fit till it is comfy , i always point people at this ..
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

jugglingphil

hello & welcome.
If you have a smart phone you may not need a trip computer, just download one of the many gps tracking apps ( endomondo, mapmyride, stava, etc ) and you're away.
padded shorts make a difference if you going over say 10 miles. I suggest you get a puncture repair kit and pump.
Best option is to get the bike and ride it, collect all the gear as you go.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
hello & welcome.
. I suggest you get a puncture repair kit and pump.

Thanks for remidinding me :smile: , carry an inner tube or 2, tyre levers and a pump and have a practise at changing a tube at home .Its a lot easier than tyring to find a leak that you can fix in the comfort of your home.A little bag that straps under the seat can carry the tubes,levers,multi tool etc and the pump can usually be mounted on a bottle cage mount.... get a water bottle + mount if your planning to go out for longer rides.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
For a helmet, I'd suggest measuring your head and trying a few on. Universal ones can fit most people, but they're bulky. You'll find others come in two/three sizes depending upon head size.

Padded shorts, like others have said. They don't need to be lycra.

A basic wireless trip computer shouldn't cost more than £20 - I've got a Raleigh RSP20 which cost me £16 and has worked fine for the past 15 months.

Puncture repair kit/spare inner tube/pump is a good idea.

Otherwise, buy and enjoy.

OP
OP
Triggster

Triggster

Thanks for the welcome and great advice.

Never thought of using my Android phone as a computer, money saved there and I see you can get phone mounts cheap enough on ebay. I'll have a look at some of this other kit mentioned as well.

Peteaud

Veteran
LIDL computer on my bike and the wifes £5 each and do the job.

Top Bottom