What do they call them ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dale

Hello again all,
Sorry for not posting for a while, computer down........ nice to be back online.
Anyway, heres my question. My friend is moving to a new flat and being security aware was thinking of changing the door lock. however this can be costly. I seem to remember from years ago you could buy a gadget i can only describe as a keyhole insert, you lock your door in the normal way, remove the key, put this gadget in the keyhole with a little key attached, then "locked" it in position and removed the key.
Basically preventing anyone else from inserting a key and unlocking the door.
Can anyone remember what these are called ? Can you still buy them and from where ? -a link would be nice if possible, as a search is'nt viable as i dont know what i'm searching for. Many thanks in advance.
Dale.

'Thingummybobs' ? :ohmy:

OP
OP
D

Dale

I seem to remember they were popular in europe, and they were specifically used in 3 or 5 lever mortice locks, definately not on "yale" type night latches.

bonj2

if this gadget stops thieves from trying to pick your door lock, then how are YOU going to remove it when you want to unlock the door with your key?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sorry I can't help with the answer, but do you or your friend have a really good hardware store (not a giant chain like B and Q, but an independent one) nearby? It might just be worth doing in and asking, just like you've asked here. Especially if it's still run by a chap in a brown shop coat. They know everything!

Are you by any chance Dale_1 from C+, and was it you moving to York? If not, sorry, my brain is a bit spongy just now. If so, I recommend Pextons on Bishopthorpe Road, or Barnitts in town....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hold on! Got it! Scroll down to 'lock blocker'...

http://guildfordlocks.co.uk/toolsextras.htm

OP
OP
D

Dale

Thanks for all replies so far.
Hi Arch, yes Dale 1 from C+. Did'nt move to York as job fell through, and been offline for a while due to computer breakdown.
I.M.H.O. this site is good if not better than C+.
Keep up the good work. Nice to be back, cheers !
Dale.

P.S. Thats the thing Arch, thanks, how do you do it ?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dale said:
Thanks for all replies so far.
Hi Arch, yes Dale 1 from C+. Did'nt move to York as job fell through, and been offline for a while due to computer breakdown.
I.M.H.O. this site is good if not better than C+.
Keep up the good work. Nice to be back, cheers !
Dale.

P.S. Thats the thing Arch, thanks, how do you do it ?

I googled 'lock blocker' and it was about the second thing....:ohmy:

Shame about the move, but good to see you back 'here'..

Top Bottom