What do you call those wafer thin wraps for Duck and spring onion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
When you go to a chinese restaurant (or takeaway) you have shredded duck with salady things.....wrapped in wafer thin thingy on which you spread a sauce.
So............
What are the wraps called ?
Where can I buy them ?
I keep looking without success.

Tom...

Guru

Gwylan

Veteran
Pancakes.

Lidl & Aldi do the whole thing for two. Supply your own cucumber and spring onions.

Buy the pancakes in a Chinese type shop. Might be Chinese, Oriental, Thai or Korean.
New Malden high street for Korean.
Superb Chinese wholesaler in Fishponds, Bristol.
Seem to be in most bigger towns these days. Passed one in Canterbury the other day

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thanks.....never thought of calling them pancakes. Cressinghams seem to be available in most big stores.

steverob

Guru
Sometimes plum, but more likely hoisin sauce.

The pancakes can sometimes be a pain to find on their own unless you've got a particularly big supermarket or Asian speciality store near you, but if you want them in a pack with the duck, sauce, etc. then pretty much all the supermarkets have their own version.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Pancakes.

Lidl & Aldi do the whole thing for two. Supply your own cucumber and spring onions.

Buy the pancakes in a Chinese type shop. Might be Chinese, Oriental, Thai or Korean.
New Malden high street for Korean.
Superb Chinese wholesaler in Fishponds, Bristol.
Seem to be in most bigger towns these days. Passed one in Canterbury the other day

There’s a (relatively) massive Korean supermarket next to B&Q in New Malden…but a very long way for @Dave7 to travel from Cheshire for a few pancakes though ^_^

googling asian supermarket warrington brings up a few hits however!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
And the sauce is plum sauce?

Is that the same as Hoy Syn ?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
There’s a (relatively) massive Korean supermarket next to B&Q in New Malden…but a very long way for @Dave7 to travel from Cheshire for a few pancakes though ^_^

googling asian supermarket warrington brings up a few hits however!

Really ? We couldn't think of any. I will google that.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Strange how anything flattish seems to be called a pancake nowadays. What we call pancakes I believe are called drop scones in foreign countries.
What you call pancakes are in fact crumpets to us.

love 'em ^_^
as far as i can remember, the chinese just use the crispy duck skin in the pancake?
1665766401548.png

steverob

Guru
Is that the same as Hoy Syn ?
No they are very different sauces, although both are equally delicious with duck.

If you look up recipes for Hoisin sauce you'll see every one seems to be different, almost as though there's no one agreed method for making it (some bizarrely ask for peanut butter, which should NOT be in it), but generally the ingredients should at least have fermented soybean paste, sugar, garlic, chillies (but not much) and Chinese five-spice powder.

Top Bottom