What do you do to make your daily commute more challenging?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What do you do to make the commute more challenging?
Nothing. What are you, some sort of masochist? ;)

eventually, even that lost its challenge, so earlier this year (partly because I needed to toughen up the legs a bit more for the European Alps), I introduced standing-up pedaling intervals to my commute, typically on some of the uphill bits, and practised these until I could increase the distance / time that I could remain standing before the legs said "enough".

I like the sound of that one. May have to incorporate this into my commute.

Graham

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Journey home (17 miles) is commonly into the predominantly West winds which visit the UK, so I try to maintain my normal (non wind) speed for as long as possible. Extra miles on the evening journey are irregular, usually because the roads are so busy I just want to get home. Pilates and Tai Chi a couple of nights a week remind my legs that because I am not riding, they can take it easy.

winjim

Smash the cistern
We're buying a house at the highest point in the city. I'm also planning to strap a two year old to the bike for part of the journey.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
  • Overtake lines of stationary traffic without getting beeped at, sworn at
There is a queue for traffic lights several hundred metres long I pass in the mornings which, for tidal reasons, has almost no oncoming traffic.

As I pass in the oncoming lane most people don't react at all.

A kind few move over to the left and get a cheery wave.

There are always one or two who move to the far right of their lane as if willing they could impede me. Normally a BMW or Audi. I always assume they must be working themselves into a furious rage that their very expensive car is being soundly beaten by a very cheap bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom