What do you do when...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cab

Cab

domtyler said:
As stated, the best position for you would have been as far away as possible from the guy who was winding you up.

Okay... I'm going along and overtake him, he later catches up with me because I've hit a slug of traffic thats doing maybe 20mph, he's right on my inside elbow and I'm in primary. I can't go around the car in front, what should I do to get as far away as possible from him? Should I slow right down?

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Arch said:
Suggest singing or talking to yourself loudly. He'll soon back off in terror....;)

Brilliant. Insane, but bloody brilliant ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Cab said:
Okay... I'm going along and overtake him, he later catches up with me because I've hit a slug of traffic thats doing maybe 20mph, he's right on my inside elbow and I'm in primary. I can't go around the car in front, what should I do to get as far away as possible from him? Should I slow right down?

Personally I would slow enough to let him get ahead where I can keep an eye on him, holding primary. When the rest of the traffic speeded up I would safely overtake in a controlled manner.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

domtyler said:
Personally I would slow enough to let him get ahead where I can keep an eye on him, holding primary. When the rest of the traffic speeded up I would safely overtake in a controlled manner.

Reasonable answer. Might be what I'd do in the same position again.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I would have started to talk to him. Lent forward on my bars are made it look easy, then when the traffic started moving again, pick up the pace, say goodbye and leave him behind.
But if hes just forcing you to stay out in primary, then i would ask if he has a problem. If he didnt answer i would slow down and sit behind him then pass him when it was safe and i could get away from him.
No point playing a game with him on the road, or letting him get you annoyed, just laugh at him and smile as you go past.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm with Jo....start chatting whistling...etc as they are huffing and going bright red......., then when safe........... burn 'em !!!

I agree, start making mundane conversation about the weather or how sluggishly the traffic is moving today, how much the early morning nip bites etc etc. If he replies he will get winded and drop back all the quicker, and if he doesn't reply, keep chatting away.

What I would have done - Either wind it up into a full on sprint and drop him, who cares if he thinks I'm racing , my safety comes before his pride. OR if I was in a more relaxed mood I would have dropped back and given myself safety room that way.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
What I would have done - Either wind it up into a full on sprint and drop him, who cares if he thinks I'm racing , my safety comes before his pride. OR if I was in a more relaxed mood I would have dropped back and given myself safety room that way.

I'd have done the former if there hadn't been slow traffic in front. I did something more akin to the latter (moved out further and signalled left, whcih I think gave him the excuse to slow down without losing face).

One thing several people have mentioned is talking to him... Might try that next time such a thing happens.

Top Bottom