What do you do with your bike at night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
rich p said:
Me too. I think it's only people who are new to touring who worry about bike theft. It's more likely to be nicked in a city than at a camp site.

True, but it's worth having a lock for when you are in a city and/or you want to visit a museum or whatever.

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
You could use one of the ground anchors you can get for tieing dog leads to. They just screw it into the ground and you lock your bike to it. Something like this .

If you use two, and put the lock through both, then it stops anyone unscrewing the whole thing.

Carried bungied sideways across the rack, they probably get you some room on the road too...:ohmy:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
andym said:
True, but it's worth having a lock for when you are in a city and/or you want to visit a museum or whatever.

Well, I do lock, as I said, but I don't worry about it;)

HelenD123

Guru
rich p said:
Me too. I think it's only people who are new to touring who worry about bike theft. It's more likely to be nicked in a city than at a camp site.

I'm not so worried about my bike on a campsite but I like to be able to lock it up outside a shop, for instance.

yashicamat

Most campsites have a gate into the camping field. I usually camp relatively near to it and lock the bike to it. It's pretty unlikely that any opportunistic thiefs will be able to remove the Kyrptonite lock from the bike. They're the only likely thief too I would say, unless the campsite is known for cycle tourists (is there such a thing?!).

shirokazan

Veteran
On campsites, I usually lock my bike with a simple cable lock, through the frame and front wheel, and preferably to something solid. As others have said/implied, campsites tend to be quite safe, considering how easy it would be to make off with your trusty steed.

just4fun

lock it to a tree where poss, otherwise i just lock it up to the Mrs bike. next time i will put some guy ropes through the bike locks. i like that idea a lot

jethro10

Über Member
If there is two of you, lock the bikes end to end to each other.

ie, a long lock through your wheels/frame plus the next bikes back wheel. Tandem style if you like. Second bike. lock through wheels frame.

a Duo bike this long and all wobbly is difficult to carry.
Three even better

Jeff

You just need to get your prioritys right xx(

tENTbIKE.jpg

Simon

K...

I read a book called Bicycle Touring by a Steve Butterman. His advice was to take it easy, maybe use a small light lock, and always leave your bike with a high gear and some weight in the panniers (non valuables of course). If the thief can manage escaping with this bike then maybe he's worth it...

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use a cable and separate padlock, with the cable round the frame and a handy tree or whatever, and the padlock round the bike chain and big chainring as well as the cable ends.
That way the bike is still unrideable if the cable is cut.

Top Bottom