What do you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

[quote name='swee'pea99']"cheery hello & wave"? You really haven't got the idea, have you? Next time you'll know better...[/QUOTE]

Contrary to popular belief I do try to be nice somtimes. ;)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
lukesdad said:
Contrary to popular belief I do try to be nice somtimes. :biggrin:

Well *that's* no way to get a £million bonus! :smile:

Greedo

Wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

we all have different abilities.

I would have just shouted "alright RichP, how's it going old yin" and sped on my way;)

HobbesChoice

Did he sound serious? He may have been having a little fun dig at you overtaking him so easily?

Some people see other cyclists as their pace makers, don't they? A way of giving them something to focus on during their bike ride? I'm not saying it's right, just that it may be a friendly competition in that person's mind just to help them push themselves harder than they would otherwise have done?

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Greedo said:
Wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

we all have different abilities.

I would have just shouted "alright RichP, how's it going old yin" and sped on my way;)

He he he !:biggrin:

Apeman

Über Member
It is strange how people have different attitudes. We go out on our bikes and some of us think that they are better than the rest and that lesser riders are almost a disease. I ride out mainly on my own and if I spot another rider in the distance I will catch him up and ride with him for as long as and have a bit of craic. It is a way of meeting other bikers. Often they will say to you to go on if they are keeping you back. I have only done this once as I was glad of the company. It also boosts the other persons confidence if you stay with them.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i could be that guy lol im bloody useless on hills, please wave tease and say hi the cuses are me swearing at my legs, my brother waits for these moments and comes past sitting up no handed and eating a banna,(this one wasnt me but could have been so easily)

potsy

Rambler
Hold on were you on a road bike? If so what are you doing waving at other cyclists don't you know it's not allowed;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm sure that with Kirstie being a girlie his male hormones (and ego) were raging.

I was out last Autumn one dreary damp morning and feeling so depressed I was about to pack and turn for home. Then I saw a rider ahead who could only be going a long way in the same direction (long road!) so decided to catch him up. Caught up and realised he was a her, very fit and about my age, with a chopped off water bottle stuffed with her spare tube, tyre levers and a multti tool. We got chatting and the miles suddenly became a lot more bearable. Turned out that while I was a little faster than her generally, she was faster up hills. We got to my habitual cafe stop and I wasn't sure what to say - I was worried that an invitation to a coffee might have seemed a bit forward (she was married) but she might have wanted to stop too so I just announced that I was stopping for my morning coffee and she replied something like "OK, see you around, thanks for the company". It really does make the miles more pleasant having some conversation.

When I must have been about five I was traumatised by a cyclist - I can remember it clearly. I was mucking around in the front garden, we lived on a slight hill and suddenly I heard this awful groaning sound like a wounded cow. Looked up and an elderly man on a bike came up the hill, I can see the khaki shorts, shirt and tie now as well as his scrawny sinewey legs and straining muscles. He was twisted in a posture of agony and bellowing with each pedal stroke; I was so frightened that I ran indoors. Never forgotten that. Maybe he was riding an early Brooks saddle and with the baggy shorts he had trapped his knackers in the spring and couldn't get off the bike?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Globalti said:
I'm sure that with Kirstie being a girlie his male hormones (and ego) were raging.

I was out last Autumn one dreary damp morning and feeling so depressed I was about to pack and turn for home. Then I saw a rider ahead who could only be going a long way in the same direction (long road!) so decided to catch him up. Caught up and realised he was a her, very fit and about my age, with a chopped off water bottle stuffed with her spare tube, tyre levers and a multti tool. We got chatting and the miles suddenly became a lot more bearable. Turned out that while I was a little faster than her generally, she was faster up hills. We got to my habitual cafe stop and I wasn't sure what to say - I was worried that an invitation to a coffee might have seemed a bit forward (she was married) but she might have wanted to stop too so I just announced that I was stopping for my morning coffee and she replied something like "OK, see you around, thanks for the company". It really does make the miles more pleasant having some conversation.

When I must have been about five I was traumatised by a cyclist - I can remember it clearly. I was mucking around in the front garden, we lived on a slight hill and suddenly I heard this awful groaning sound like a wounded cow. Looked up and an elderly man on a bike came up the hill, I can see the khaki shorts, shirt and tie now as well as his scrawny sinewey legs and straining muscles. He was twisted in a posture of agony and bellowing with each pedal stroke; I was so frightened that I ran indoors. Never forgotten that. Maybe he was riding an early Brooks saddle and with the baggy shorts he had trapped his knackers in the spring and couldn't get off the bike?
RR you knew where I was coming from then? (I meant about Kirstie, not about the time I got my knackers trapped whilst cycling through your neck of the woods, several years ago?)

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Apeman said:
It is strange how people have different attitudes. We go out on our bikes and some of us think that they are better than the rest and that lesser riders are almost a disease.

I feel really lucky to have seemingly escaped the competetive gene. Riders pass me all the time and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I prefer it if they ring a bell before passing so I don't jump though. On the very rare occasions I pass other riders, I notice a lot of them then just have to get past me again. Just seems so utterly childish and pointless to me and I leave'm to it!

When me and Mrs TF are out riding together I get a perverse feeling of pleasure when we pass another roadie, probably because she is on a pink fixed and I usually let her go first to watch their reaction. I know it's wrong but as with so many wrong things in life it feels good!
To be honest, most of the time I then pull up alongside the other rider and say hello and usually ask how far they are going.
There are a couple of nice people on this thread who can vouch for the probable accuracy of this post :laugh:

Top Bottom