What do you look for when planning a new route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
brentrides

brentrides

All routes to have cafe indicated
Working on it, stay tuned...

Thanks for the sequence of preferences, very helpful.

Red light districts.
OSMand will highlight brothels (if they are in the openstreetmap database) and will route between them offline.
Various other "adult" things as i recall as well, possibly under the "leisure" heading.
I have vague memories from tinkering that something near Chorley popped up.
Have no idea if @PaulSB uses OSMand.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Do they exchange OS Maps for pints these days? I guess they cost about the same.
See now I never thought of that!

Alex321

Veteran
I prefer to use minor roads as much as possible, and will usually look for hills.

I'm sometimes happy to use bike paths, though only ones which are tarmac for pretty well the whole of the path.

I have several times used the Strava random route generator, just giving it a distance and specifying "hilly", and have usually been reasonably happy with what it came up with.

It would be nice to be able to tell it you want a café (or pub) after a certain rough mileage.

Will Spin

Über Member
It would be useful to know something about the suitability of the surface, particularly when to routing app is recommending a bridal way or shared use path, such as some of the Sustrans routes. I've followed routes generated by routing apps and found that I've had to get off and walk sometimes as I'm usually riding a bike with 25mm tyres.

Top Bottom