what do you think of the Specialized tri cross as a commuter/light tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluebus200

Ive been looking to replace my old galaxy with somthing a bit lighter and met a fellow that uses a tricross as a commuter and tourer...i can see how it could be a good commuter but do you reckon the ali frame is up to panniers as well??

videoman

Guru
I've had one for over eighteen months and have used it for a number of different uses. I ride it on the road, canal tow paths and cycle trails and in June I went on a ten day tour in France with Tubus Logo rack, Ortlieb panniers and bar bag and had no problems at all travelling with ten others and have very recently completed a 120km audax on it as well.

As an all rounder I find it difficult to fault as I only paid around £565 for mine delivered.

13 rider

Guru
Not sure they make the tricross anymore . I believe @Supersuperleeds had one and the frame cracked after 40000 miles he got a new frame foc due to lifetime warranty but not a tricros
You may have to look second hand

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I commuted on mine for three years and did try it with rack and panniers but didn't like the feel of them so reverted back to a rucksack. I must admit I could never get on with the mechanical disc brakes on mine and wasn't sad to see it replaced with the Diverge. I also did my first 200km ride on the Tricross, again with rack and panniers so yes I would say it would be fine for commuting and touring. As others have said Specialized no longer make the frame and the Diverge is its replacement.

GaGa

Ive been looking to replace my old galaxy with somthing a bit lighter and met a fellow that uses a tricross as a commuter and tourer...i can see how it could be a good commuter but do you reckon the ali frame is up to panniers as well??
IMG_4245.JPG
IMG_4245.JPG

GaGa

Hello from this new on the block boy. Here is photo of my 2010 Specialized Tricross. The rack make is " Mass load " and I have a slot-in top box that fits on top. With the top box fitted the bike looks like it should be on the set of " call the midwife. I've been toying with using the bike to ride the Leeds/Liverpool canal ( 127 miles ) Love this bike, its so comfortable and a joy to ride, I'm sure it would cope well as a touring bike.The photograph was taken on HSBC Liverpool City ride with my 10 year old Grandson.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Another Tricross owner here. I have the 2009 model. Had to add the brake hanger to get rid of the judder in the front brake, but other than that it's great. Not toured with it, but I usually have a pannier on there with my camera in there, a lock, some cakes... Great for Audax and commuting and it loves the tow-paths and the lanes and farm-tracks.

36985512335_b5706b0912_z.jpg Obligatory Bike In Front of Wall Photo by Derek Rutherford, on Flickr

Top Bottom