what do you think of these shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
I alternate between using a bottom of the range pair of road specific shoes (Shimano RT32) and a touring/mtb shoe (Shimano MT41b) depending on the kind of ride I'm doing and, tbh, can't really say I notice any difference in stiffness at the level of riding I do.

Although the MT41b's have a little bit more flex in the sole which makes walking any distance more comfortable, this doesn't translate into any discomfort on the bike. I can do distances up to 80 miles without feeling any "hot spots" on my feet under the cleats. Getting the positioning of the cleats right is key in this - I spent time fine-tuning to get it right.

The only observation I would make is that I would choose a touring shoe with a grippy rather than a smooth sole, but this is just personal preference as I generally do a bit of light offroading when in touring mode, which invariably means getting off and pushing at some stage.

Drago

Legendary Member
The RT32 touring/road shoes are excellent all round commuter shoes, very durable, and keenly priced. I'm sure the ones buggi has seen are liable to also be decent.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Cool. It was the cut out bit that concerned me. I have both road shoes (cleat not recessed) and road-style mtb shoes (cleat is recessed into tread) but the sole is the same thickness on both shoes (tread is added, not sole taken away, on mtb shoes) I wondered if the cut out bit weakened the stiffness? I think when they get them back in stock I'll order them and see what they are like.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cool. It was the cut out bit that concerned me. I have both road shoes (cleat not recessed) and road-style mtb shoes (cleat is recessed into tread) but the sole is the same thickness on both shoes (tread is added, not sole taken away, on mtb shoes) I wondered if the cut out bit weakened the stiffness? I think when they get them back in stock I'll order them and see what they are like.
CRC have more sizes in stock albeit a fiver more (same 365 day free returns policy) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CKes-7ewssUCFW7KtAodrjEAXw&gclsrc=aw.ds

gottogetfit

I am on the look out for new commuting shoes. I normally get road style mtb shoes coz the cleat's recessed although I have a pair of pink girly road shoes at the moment, but I came across these and quite fancied them. Anyone had touring shoes before and are they stiff as road shoes?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-womens-wr35-spd-touring-shoes/
I just bought some Shimano RT82 touring shoes. I found the Mens fitted better that Womens. I normally take a size 7 but up this 1 size for Shimano shoes. With the RT82's I had to go up 2 sizes. So, make sure you can return them. They are really comfy and no problems walking in them. Hopefully the ones you fancy will be the same.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
I just bought some Shimano RT82 touring shoes. I found the Mens fitted better that Womens. I normally take a size 7 but up this 1 size for Shimano shoes. With the RT82's I had to go up 2 sizes. So, make sure you can return them. They are really comfy and no problems walking in them. Hopefully the ones you fancy will be the same.
They are back in stock now so I'm just waiting for pay day. Cheers for that,I heard you had to go up a size.

Top Bottom