What do you think of this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
It's not clear from the clip whether the driver jumped the bollard or, for example, pulled out from a parked position on the right hand side of the road and joined your carriageway for the first time after the bollard.

if he was parked on the opposite side, facing oncoming traffic then he would have had to drive on the wrong side of the divider to have gotten there in the first place...so just as poor IMO

Thomk

Guru
if he was parked on the opposite side, facing oncoming traffic then he would have had to drive on the wrong side of the divider to have gotten there in the first place...so just as poor IMO

I'm not sure I agree it's just as poor. But in any case it's not always illegal to do a U turn from a parked position, just one other possibility. I guess my point was that he is being accused of doing something that the clip does not show. IMO he almost certainly did what was claimed though...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
it's not always illegal to do a U turn from a parked position,

It is if it requires you to drive up the wrong side of the road into oncomming traffic afterwards.

take your point about the restriction of the footage though, its only possible to truely comment on what we can see...not assume

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
He was in the queue and then went the wrong way around a traffic island. Even if he had been parked it would have been illegal to pass the wrong side of that island, as it has a keep left sign.

Thomk

Guru
I don't doubt that's true but your clip does not show that. Do you have footage of the van from earlier which would prove that he approached the island from your carriageway? The keep left sign on the island is for the benefit of cars approaching it in your carriageway, not relevent for cars joining the carriageway from the other side

EDIT - The clip doesn't show whether the van was turning from a side junction into your road or perhaps coming out of a driveway for example. I'm not saying any of this occured but your clip would be improved if you could show more detail from earlier.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I would make a video like that one public right away. No need to keep it unlisted - the whole point for me is to bring public pain and shame to drivers like the one you videoed in order to change their future behaviour. A big part of that is the publicity for their company and the fact that many youtube subscribers then comment on the poor quality of their driving. It's not about punishment, but peer and employer pressure, and to do that effectively it needs exposure, promotion almost.

400bhp

Guru
It wasn't necessarily the fact he was on the wrong side of the road it's the speed he was driving at and the carelesness (with his foot on the accelerator by the looks of it too).

Pish poor driving.

GGB_Andrew

Agreed, I take it you noted the name of his company

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Got a reply today. The driver "voluntarily resigned from his position"

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Slightly guilty TBH.

atbman

Veteran

No reason to feel that way - he voluntarily drove the way he did and if he'd been seen from a patrol car, the blues'n'twos would have been switched on and he'd probably be facing prosecution.

Chris-H

Über Member
I really would'nt feel guilty mate,the way to look at it is the amount of miles that particular van must travel in a year is huge,rather it be with a safe and considerate driver behid the wheel than the one that resigned :thumbsup:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It was an awful bit of driving to save a few seconds at best. Doing it in a company vehicle where you are put in a position to drive on the road safely as your job is just utter stupidity.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf

It's OK to feel slightly guilty, although you shouldn't. I'll bet that this wasn't the first time his driving was complained about.

Top Bottom