What do you think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thisoldbike

I had an incident the other day: I was waiting with my bike at a light controlled crossing during rush hour. The cars stopped off the crossing to allow us (myself and a pedestrian) to cross while the traffic was stationary.
Two cyclists were filtering at a good pace towards us but we couldn't see them as there was a van blocking the view of the middle of the road. I tried to stop in time as soon as he appeared, but his bike caught my front wheel as he was attempting to stop and he went off his bike. I felt really bad as the crossing light hadn't changed I believed it was my fault. I made sure he (and his bike) were alright - I believe he hurt his wrist from the fall and got bruising. I also made sure he could contact me if he needed anything.
I found out later that filtering across crossings isn't legal in slow or stationary traffic, apparently you aren't supposed to pass the car closest to the crossing. I still feel bad because he got injured and it was pretty traumatic for the both of us. I was fortunate enough to leave with a few bruises and a bent rim.
What do you guys think? Joint responsibility? Or is it clearly my fault?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Joint. Both of you were approaching effectively a blind corner formed by the van and should have slowed to peer around it.

I'm not sure why you think filtering through crossings is illegal. It may leave the filterer open to an accusation of carelessness but I can't think of a law specifically against it. I think it's roughly as careless as crossing when you couldn't see it was clear.

boydj

Legendary Member
If the cyclist had a green light, then it's hard to find too much fault with him, though I'd expect a competent cyclist to be aware of the potential for trouble. Similar to a car turning right across stationary traffic where there's a cycle lane, the onus is on the traffic crossing the cycle lane to check carefully before crossing.

Top Bottom