What do you think - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
A city street; Exchange Street, in Norwich was made a pedestrian / cycle route between 10.00h - 17.00h. about a year ago. However, due to poor signage, motorists continue to use said street as and when it suits them. On the 5th. November, a disabled woman who was completely fed up with these transgressions, placed herself as a 'human bollard' in the street stopping traffic passing to try and bring attention to this issue. :okay:
The police turned up and instead of having words with the motorists who were trying to get past the woman; with one or two apparently, being quite abusive, the policeman obliged the woman to move to the footpath; apparently under the threat of arrest, but this hasn't been confirmed and then waved the traffic through - ! :eek:
An account of this is on Facebook.

classic33

Leg End Member

All uphill

Still rolling along
Poor signage.

Police officers moved the person putting themselves at risk, and causing an obstruction. The officers have been 'advised' about their decision to wave traffic through.

Slick

Guru
Obviously, its disgusting that it has taken this poor woman to make a stand to highlight an issue like this. There is always a but, I can't help have sympathy with the police on the ground, who mostly have one thankless task after another to complete, which I can justify with their superiors, who double down on what could be explained by a simple error of judgement and now they are left looking like complete idiots. What chance have they got, with complete morons guiding them?

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
The signage to said street has now been changed to allow only pedestrians and cycles at all times, with loading / unloading permitted between 16.00h. & 22.00h. when I was on my way back home on Saturday, the message must have got through as all the roads in the immediate area were logjammed with hardly moving motor traffic and the said street was completely traffic free - ! :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
The current situation on Exchange Street is that extra signage has been put up at the top of Guildhall Hill, Exchange Street has had a barrier put up and there will be enforcment officers on duty there for two weeks after which cameras will be installed for automatic monitoring of the situation.
An unfortunate course of action to have to deal with certain 'folk who think they're entitled'. :whistle:

Top Bottom