What do you WANT to do for a living...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I'd like a workshop of my own and I'd faff about with bits of wood and stuff.

Young Un

either

Head mechanic at a bike shop

or

Motorsport engineering involved with either a high end race series (eg F1) or in the wrc(fast rally cars.)

Night Train

Maker of Things
longers said:
I'd like a workshop of my own and I'd faff about with bits of wood and stuff.
Got that! :biggrin:

I would be happy just doing what I do now but with some job security. Teaching HND Furniture to mature students while doing theatre and set stuff alongside some cabinet making is just the best thing ever.

I would also be quite happy driving heavy haulage lorries, a Scammell Contractor, or a modern heavy haulage tractor, with the best part of 1000 tons to move would be fun.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I quite fancy being a novelist. I'd obviously be very successful and well-thought of and I'd do my writing in a conservatory with wonderful views all around. Women would swoon at my feet which could hinder the novel's progress but WTF. I'll have to travel to exotic parts of the world to research my books first. I might also have to apperare on erudite tv programmes where the public would laugh at my rapier wit and admire my insouciance.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Melvil said:
Ditto. Have written a novel but never showed it to anyone...it's gathering dust on a shelf.

you prat... show someone!!!! what's the worse that could happen?... i'll tell you... it sits on their shelf and you ain't lost anything.

cyclenic said:
Paramedic

my sister is one and i think you would quickly become disillusioned like her :biggrin: lots of timewasters and nutters.

meenaghman said:
Doctor. It was one of my regrets not pushing myself and getting the necessary points at school. more than capable. I'm pretty certain I'd have the personality disorder to become a consultant or surgeon.

not necessarily needed now. my bro worked in a dead end job in a car factory until he told his girlfriends dad he wanted to be a nurse and didn't think he was clever enough. Her dad did a bit of digging around and got him an a sit down entry exam at the local uni. something that uni's do for people that didn't get their exams at school apparently. they gave him an hour to read a paper, and then he had to do an exam on it, to test if he could absorb info. he passed, did the course and is now a qualified peadiatric nurse.

U

User169

NickM said:
Manual labourer and general helper-out in Delftse Post's brewery. At a modest wage, but with all the beer I want to drink and use of a works velomobile.

As long as he brews superior beer!

Superior beer will, of course, be brewed. All the beer you can consume and velocipedes will also be guaranteed. Regrettably, still very much a dream I'm afraid.

BTW, finally got my hands on a bottle of Westvleteren 12 last week; a very superior beer indeed!

NickM

Veteran
Delftse Post said:
...finally got my hands on a bottle of Westvleteren 12 last week; a very superior beer indeed!

Ah, that's an Everest I have yet to climb... but the 8 tastes like anybody else's 12, so I'm sure the 12 is absolutely knockout :thumbsdown:

Last night: Duvel vs. Hapkin taste test. I judged it a draw - Hapkin being the only serious contender in the "Duvel-like" class, if you ask me...

Young Un said:
Motorsport engineering involved with either a high end race series (eg F1) or in the wrc(fast rally cars.)

I know people who do this. A mate worked for mitsubishi ralliart for several years as a mechanic, after working on fast jets in the RAF, also as a mechanic. It involved low pay, long hours and long stints away from home. On the plus side he got to see some amazing coutnries. He now has his own business building and servicing race car engines of all kinds as he's a bit of a mechanical genius, and absolutely loves it.

Young Un

Kirstie said:
I know people who do this. A mate worked for mitsubishi ralliart for several years as a mechanic, after working on fast jets in the RAF, also as a mechanic. It involved low pay, long hours and long stints away from home. On the plus side he got to see some amazing coutnries. He now has his own business building and servicing race car engines of all kinds as he's a bit of a mechanical genius, and absolutely loves it.

yeah I have heard about the low pay in rallying - but have also heard about the really good pay in F1, and I know the cheif test engineer at renault so hopefully at somepint I will be able to work for Reanult F1:biggrin:

Top Bottom