What does a good bike give you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karan733

Ive been wondering this for a while now :smile: I bought a second hand road bike off ebay a few months ago and been commuting to work every day, and lately ive been casting my eye to see what else is out there. But the question is, where do you notice the difference between a budget bike and a full out roadie? I mean, I find climbing hard (im sure the rear wheel is rubbing the brakes!) but otherwise the bike feels good and fine, so what is different when you spend another £400-£500 more?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It's largely down to flex - if you have flex in any part of the bike (frame,wheel rim, spokes etc) you are wasting energy especially when going uphill.

Basically the more money you pay the lighter and stiffer the frame (with increased comfort thrown in if you get the right frame).

This means more power is transmitted down to the rear wheel and back again without any flex (partly the cause of your wheel rub) in the frame.

You also need wheels that are also light and stiff(probably the other part cause of your wheel rub).

It does however get a bit costly!

As regards what it gives you - a responsive frame is a bit more enjoyable to ride and the energy saved can either be channelled into more speed or greater distance.

Top Bottom