What does a pricier bike get you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
I was thinking my next bike will be a road bike, but don't know if I should go for something like a Trek 1.2 or just a Halfords generic road bike. What does the extra £400 in cost get you?

Davidc

Guru
Better components usually

Peteaud

Veteran
Depends really.

Generally a better frame, or better components.

Remember resale value as well.

A Trek will always be worth more and sell well if you want to get rid off it in the future.

And sometimes, you pay for a name.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I ride a Halford's bike. A Carrera Virtuoso. It's a pretty good entry-level road bike, but if you spend more, you'll get something lighter with better kit. I would always say buy the best bike you can afford, but if you can only afford <£400, then a Carrera is as good as any.

However, in February I'll have squirrelled away enough to buy my Bianchi...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A pricier bike will come with better components. But pricier components mean that replacing consumables costs more as well.

Since you're posting in commuting* I feel that the cheaper end of mid range will be better for the pocket.

The chains and cassettes on my 8 speed bike are cheaper than the ones on my 9 speed one.

* commuting, especially in winter, is much tougher on bikes than weekend Leisure rides.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Depends really.

Generally a better frame, or better components.

Remember resale value as well.

A Trek will always be worth more and sell well if you want to get rid off it in the future.

And sometimes, you pay for a name.

Thanks, I might just buy the Halfords option because that's cheaper and also I'm not sure these things make a massive difference. Would definitely pay for build quality though.

Peteaud

Veteran
Thanks, I might just buy the Halfords option because that's cheaper and also I'm not sure these things make a massive difference. Would definitely pay for build quality though.

If it was me i would buy the Trek.

Why, because i have 2 trek bikes and the wife has a £375.00 Trek bike that has covered many miles and never gone wrong. (mine have been spot on as well)

I also believe that a LBS will give you better long term service than Halfords.

Moodyman

Legendary Member

Sensible man. I doubt many cyclists can tell the difference between the different components - ie Sora vs Tiagra vs 105

I know I certainly can't

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Sensible man. I doubt many cyclists can tell the difference between the different components - ie Sora vs Tiagra vs 105

I know I certainly can't

For sure. I think that right now I'm mostly worried about lower quality parts wearing faster or cheaper bikes being more prone to breakages. The idea of a Trek that 'never goes wrong' sounds really tempting.

deanarello

Regular
I own a 1-5 trek that i use for my winter training and winter club rides,i have had the bike about 4 years from new its faultless,hard club rides every weekend right through the winter mixing it up with the 4grand bikes no problem.Money well spent its the cheapest by a long way of the bikes i own but fun wise its well up the list,if i were you i would buy the trek mate you will have miles of happy cycling

Top Bottom