What does 'clincher' mean?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

in relation to wheelsets?

Also some wheels seem to be described as say a 10 speed or 9 speed...what does that mean? Doe sit mean I have to match a 9 speed cassette to a 9 speed wheel?
:biggrin::blush::sad:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
clinchers are rims that take regular tyres, not tubeless ones, the standard tyre that you have to force over the edge of the rim

no doubt there are ways of putting the wrong cassette onto the wheel, but you've basically got to match your cassette to the wheel....

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Clincher refers to tyres with a bead that hooks on to the rim, thus containing a separate inner tube. The alternative mounting method for tyres is tubulars (aka "sprints") which are glued onto the rims.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

ok thanks..so I need clincher style wheels...sya 9 speed wheels and then I need to get a 9 speed cassette to match those wheels. If the wheels have shimano hubs for arguments sake I should get shimano cassette, chainset etc right....

zimzum42

Legendary Member
The type of hub should not matter so much, but for the sake of peace of mind to know everything will fit, then go for shimano

but you know campag's better!

02GF74

Über Member
zimzum42 said:
clinchers are rims that take regular tyres, not tubeless ones, the standard tyre that you have to force over the edge of the rim

tubeless tyres (recently introduced) and tubular tyres are not the same thing nor are the rims for them.

a tubular tyre is like a circular sausage with the inner tube inside it - you cannot remove the inner tube unless you slit the tube open; yes, they are a real pain if you p&ture.. the rims for them have no side wall and the tub is glued onto the rim.

tubeless tyres are like clincher tyre but with a different bead whcih seals them to the rim. they can be run with or without an inner tube.

Saddle bum

Über Member
"Clincher" is an americanism, the correct English term is "wired-on".

"Campy" is another US corruption and likewise, should be discarded.

Top Bottom