What does the Ambulance Service urge us cyclists to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
It's not really a helmet debate thread. It's a thread about official organisations that put it across that you should not really be cycling without a helmet.

It's easier to blame the cyclists for not wearing a helmet than point out that some motorist who hit them should not have been driving like an idiot. (Obviously no car in this case though)

I'm pro choice.

Reactions: 4F

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've searched for a claim by any helmet manufacturer that a helmet can save the life of the wearer. I can't find one.

Even the current website of Alpina, who supplied the Alpina Pheos helmet to James Cracknell, hasn't taken advantage of the advertising boost that would've come from the publicity surrounding Cracknell's incident.

It seems that everyone else is making the claim but the people who make them. I wonder why that is?

GC

Reactions: 4F

Mile195

Veteran
I couldn't comment on whether or not they would save your life. However, one thing is certain. When stopped mid-ride for flapjacks and a pint of milk, mine makes a nifty little shopping basket, which I can conveniently carry on my head when not in use.

On that basis, I will continue to take mine out everywhere I go...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

No Booooo about it... It's a helmet debate.. simple.

Anyone who mentions Cracknell in a pro-helmet position should be made to declare his financial interest in promoting their use.

Siegfried

The amount of time it takes ambulances to reach road accidents suggests they can't really be all that concerned about the welfare of the victims. The ambulance 'service' in Yorkshire, admittedly officially the worst in England, can take well over an hour to arrive at the scene of a 999 call. Rather than wasting money on a helmet Yorkshire cyclists would do better to invest in a kindle with plenty of e-books uploaded on it so they have something to read while they wait for the soi-disant emergency services to finish their lunch break or union meeting, try and remember where they left the keys to the ambulance and then drive around the county hopelessly lost because they so rarely venture outside of the station canteen.

Sara_H

Guru
Email sent to WMAS. I'll be interested to see the response.

They've replied to me on twitter.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/SB_HH_JC">@SB_HH_JC</a> - hi Sara...we push cycle helmets because too many of our staff have seen fractured skulls that could have been avoided</p>&mdash; WMAS (@OFFICIALWMAS) <a href="https://twitter.com/OFFICIALWMAS/statuses/360431608920154112">July 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom