What Does "Tubeless Ready" Mean?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Tripster I thought you might be interested in today. I punctured 3-400 yards from the top of a tough 1.5 mile climb. Front wheel and I could see sealant spurting out like a Catherine Wheel. I had seen glass in the road but only at the last moment. I had a car directly behind me so a swerve outwards wasn't an option.

I decided to continue climbing the hill and see if it sealed. At the top of the climb the sealant had stopped spewing out but close inspection showed moisture on the tyre was bubbling a little. I decided to plug. The whole operation took five minutes, plug, inflate, pack up, ride away. My buddy hadn't seen this before he was impressed.

My only difficulty was I didn't have glasses with me which made finding the hole tricky.

There was a comment about "pointy things" in tubeless tyres. I replaced a set summer 2020. On close inspection inside the rear tyre I found seven sealed holes which would have resulted in punctures on a tubed tyre. No pointy things in evidence.

There is a downside to tubeless. Installing a tube in rain will leave you covered in wet, slimy sealant and putting the tyre back on under these conditions is very difficult. I've had to do this once. This is why I now carry plugs.
Glad your ride wasnt spoiled Paul 👍. I have ordered a plug kit you recommended. Must remember my glasses on rides too ^_^

Top Bottom