What does your classic road bike weigh? How does that compare with modern bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porteous

Veteran
Just weighed my 1967 Rudge Pathfinder ( My current road bike) and found it weighed 14 kg on some awful Chinese hand scaled. How does that compare with other 60s bikes, and with "modern" road bikes?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Most ali or even carbon framed bikes are around 10 kg. My old 531 Dawes from the eighties is about 11, so there there really hasn't been too much progress weigh wise.

dglsdms

I don't think it's *too* hard to get a modern bike down to 7 or 8kg. I think my lightest steel framed bike (with 7400 Dura Ace) is around 10kg. So not much of a difference for a few thousand quid...

Telling myself when I'm cursing my heavy bike trying to pull me down the hill I'm climbing. But as they say, there's no point in worrying the weight of your bike when you're a stone overweight...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Cheapest component to lose weight from, on the bike, is the rider. A few more miles should so it. I am 6'5" and 20 st. I have a lot of miles to go. I was down to 12 at University. I find a heavier bicycle too much to push, but too light is too flexy as well. So my Schwinn Passage, at 11, fits the Bill perfectly. and I think my 1981 Voyageur is about a pound more, so I have found my mark.

dglsdms

No doubt. I'm 6ft and 13stone, so got a bit of a way to go before I'm in 'climber' territory.

Top Bottom