what energy supplements do you take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peteoc

dmoran said:
Flapjack and fruit for normal rides but I do use gels for Sportives.

Like many on here I tend to mix my own energy drinks using stuff from myprotein.co.uk and save 75% of the cost compared to buying the branded drinks. Their prices would need to come down by 50-60% before I would consider using them.

I accept that someone has to develop the recipes in the first place but the pricing seems way OTT and the sensible side of my head just won't let me buy it.

awesome, I've been looking for a source of ingedients to mix up something stupid that will have me stuck to the ceiling for weeks on end, what's your current receipe?

davidg

http://jibbering.com/sports/

this was posted by (and I believe is the website of) a member here. certainly very useful

diary free flackjacks/cereal/fruit bars (allergic to all diary), non-salted nuts and isotonic drink.

usually get the isotonic powder when it is on offer and in bulk which has brought the cost down to 40p for 500ml. (I need balanced potassium/sodium in drinks so can't take the DIY approach becuase I can't balance them myself in my body).

Dunbar

Über Member
I just keep to a sensible diet, with plenty of protein and not too many carbs.

So when I finally get my bike, I doubt I shall change. Except hopefully, I will get a little slimmer. (Well a lot slimmer really.)

I honestly believe there's a lot of hype surrounding these special energy-supplement foods and drinks. They don't give 'em away so I guess someone is making money somewhere!
Plenty of fresh water and fresh as possible food. Leave the junk for when you really need something just to 'fill a hole'! Please note, I don't consider a lean, grilled bacon sarnie as junk. Unless it's made with white bread!)

HTH

John :thumbsup:

Ben M

generic cereal bars are the food to be found in my saddle bag.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Chocolate ... supplemented by cake.... what else would taste as nice!!! :biggrin:

If I'm feeling good then cashew nuts and diluted fruit juice.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Bananas and water for short rides <20.

Bananas, salted peanuts and glucose sports drink for longer

SIS energy drink for longer rides > 40 miles, otherwise just water/dilute squash. In summer/hot weather I normally pop a nuun tablet in there.
Food - power bars, jellybabies, dried apricots/figs, bananas. On most Irish events there's at least on good tea stop where there is tea/coffee and sandwiches with cake/buns etc..)
Prior fueling normally with poridge/muesli and I generally take a couple of cups of strong coffee (helps my lungs open up).
Post fueling - I'm a big believer in glutamine. Seems to work for me. I normally mix a shake with Whey powder, glutamine, banana, yoghurt and fruit juice. seems to do the trick.
Also use supplements like CLA,L-Carnitine, co Q10 and cos my joints are a bit fecked - some glucosamine with chondrition.
Have determined that supplements such as Madras, Rogan Josh, red wine and Guinness can sometimes detract from performance.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Up to 40 or 50 miles:
flapjack or eccles cakes or twix or normal cereal bars
squash

Longer rides:
plenty of pasta the night before
as above for snacks
one bottle of squash, one of an energy drink (made from SIS powder)
if possible, chips/cake + tea on route as well

Top Bottom