What event could I take part in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

PaulB said:

+1, this is looking like it should be a great ride.

vernon said:
This is hardly the ideal event for a relative newcomer. The original posters's average speed, further reduced by the hilliness of the course,would not allow him to qualify as a finisher.

Audaxes might well be the answer.

A look at www.audax.uk.net and then the calender menu item might turn something up.

this is bollocks, there is no 'minimum' speed on sportives, UNLIKE audaxes!
on the northern rock cyclone sportive there were all sorts of slow bimblers, kids, tandems, mums on shopping bikes, BSOs, i'm sure there were even a couple of grannies.

Sportives are easier in the sense that you don't have to find your own way.

bonj2

jimboalee said:
Bloody hell man! That's got 3 AAA points.

Read the post about the Otztaler sportive. That's got 5000m of climbing in 238km.

The Wesley May is less than half the distance but well over half the climbing.

par for the course though isn't it. "Not too hilly" and "in wales" is an oxymoron!

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I may have to have a rethink.I have plotted some of the rides I have done on bikehike to get a comparison. Most climbing I have done is about 800 meters on a similar length.This one is nearly 3000 ,bit much maybe for a beginner.

Just noticed this one on the calendar which may be a bit more realistic for me. http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=09-107

Lovebadger

That's a better event as long as you are happy with 1800m ascent which adds a fair bit of difficulty. Only you can tell if you think you are happy with this. It's not a race so take your time and enjoy...hopefully, the weather is fine!

In the new year you will find more 100km events without any AAA points (these give an indication of how much climbing is involved) and much less climbing.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for all the replies.Unfortunately trying to find a 100km event that coincides with a day off and family commitments is proving impossible. So I have drawn up my own "Metric Century "route on Bikehike.

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=17456

I plan to transfer this onto the OS map then do it either alone or with a cycling mate or 2. Hopefully in the new year I can fit in an organized 100 km and maybe eventually do a 200 km but I know I am not prepared for 200 yet.

If my 100k route with 1077 meters of climbing (according to bikehike)were an Audax type event what minimum speed do U think would be alloted to it? I was thinking of 12.5kph min and 25 kph max.I will come closer to the min than the max :-)

jimboalee

Banjo said:
Thanks for all the replies.Unfortunately trying to find a 100km event that coincides with a day off and family commitments is proving impossible. So I have drawn up my own "Metric Century "route on Bikehike.

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=17456

I plan to transfer this onto the OS map then do it either alone or with a cycling mate or 2. Hopefully in the new year I can fit in an organized 100 km and maybe eventually do a 200 km but I know I am not prepared for 200 yet.

If my 100k route with 1077 meters of climbing (according to bikehike)were an Audax type event what minimum speed do U think would be alloted to it? I was thinking of 12.5kph min and 25 kph max.I will come closer to the min than the max :-)

Is 0.00 Audax Altitude Award points.

The speeds for a 100 km DoItYourself are Min - 10km, Max 30kmh because it is a Brevet Populaire and YOU are the organiser ( with Danial's "yes" to your plans ).

Best plan is to start off riding against the wind, but as you are in S Wales that's not realistic if the wind is in the south. From my recolection of the Valleys, Northbound from the coast is uphill, so you will have a freewheel all the way down again.

Hearty breakfast.

jimboalee

bonj said:
maybe 15kph.
if you're interested in audax then yacf seems to have a more 'busy' audax section than here does. http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a5c448e899d922b8e381168757601eda&board=17.0
You can also do what's called 'perm' / 'DIY' audax which is where you choose your own route, do it whenever you want and get it validated as an audax. Although i'm not personally sure i see the point, tbh... again, ask on yacf for more information on this.

Perms, DIYs and MidMesh Randos ( >200 ) count toward series awards.

Quote AUK's Handbook.

"Progressing past the SR, the new Randonneur 5000 is awarded to a person riding randonneur events totalling 5,000km in one season."
and
"Similarly, the new Randonneur 10000 is awarded to a person riding randonneur events totalling 10,000km in one season.

That's bloody difficult riding calendar events alone.

So in came the MidMesh and DIY rides along with the extensive list of Permanents.

MidMesh and DIY rides can start and finish at your local Tesco Metro.

Top Bottom