what exactly...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
..do you need to eat on a long rode of 45 miles +
I read so many things about carbohydrates and others, I would just like to know what type of food you take with you, like chocolate bars, bananas etc ... and how many. No fancy names please, just name the food.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Fuel well before the ride. Porridge or porridge oats with milk and honey. On the ride a bannana and a drink. For a 45 mile ride I wouldn't even take a bannana unless it was hilly, just a drink.

PpPete

Legendary Member
45 miles? A banana and a cereal bar (Jordans Frusli are my favourite) is quite adequate.
Or take some cash and stop and buy whatever takes your fancy at whatever cafe or shop you happen across. A full English is fine if that's what your body is telling you it wants. I've eaten cottage pie and chips and peas then rhubarb and custard at 10.30 am on a ride. It just felt right at the time.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Flapjacks are the first things that spring to mind. Preferably with a lot of dried fruit in them and I came across a recipe that used bananas in with the oats, which worked pretty well.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
20 hilly miles - a 750 mL bottle containing 500 mL of water + 250 mL of OJ.

20 - 40 hilly miles - as above plus half another bottle.

40 - 60 hilly miles - 2-2.5 bottles as above plus 3 scoops of maltodextrin powder per bottle (60g?). Plus a cafe stop if I am with people who want one (beans on toast and/or a piece of cake with a coffee).

75 hilly miles - 3 x 750 mL bottles water/OJ/maltodextrin + a sandwich and/or/cake/chocolate + a cafe stop.

100 hilly miles - 4 x 750 mL bottles, + a sandwich and/or/cake/chocolate + a cafe stop.

125 hilly miles - 5 x 750 mL bottles, a cafe stop, cake, chocolate, fig rolls, sandwiches, Coke, any extra calories that I can force down! :thumbsup:

40 - 60 hilly miles - 2-2.5 bottles as above plus 3 scoops of maltodextrin powder per bottle (60g?). Plus a cafe stop if I am with people who want one (beans on toast and/or a piece of cake with a coffee).

75 hilly miles - 3 x 750 mL bottles water/OJ/maltodextrin + a sandwich and/or/cake/chocolate + a cafe stop.

100 hilly miles - 4 x 750 mL bottles, + a sandwich and/or/cake/chocolate + a cafe stop.

125 hilly miles - 5 x 750 mL bottles, a cafe stop, cake, chocolate, fig rolls, sandwiches, Coke, any extra calories that I can force down! :thumbsup:

Sound advice :thumbsup: you can always avoid the hilly bit in Colins post and have an easier time of it

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it

That's what I called a no nonsense reply. Thanks Colin. I also use one tablet of Zero Xtreme sport drink per 750 ml. Full of cafein.

Ningishzidda

No bull. The capsaicin is a metabolism accelerator.

HovR

Über Member
On longer rides with a cafe stop, a sausage (or bacon) and egg butty always goes down well! Otherwise a banana and a couple of muesli bars or a sandwich on even longer rides.

Top Bottom