What Frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've always ridden Steel Bikes - 531 mostly. I have a fairly new one in 752 tubing. But my winter bike is ageing and the bottom bracket threads are a bit cream crackered. Cost of repair + needed repaint at least £250 I think. New steel frames tend to be more expensive than that. Now there are out there some cheapo frames such as Tifosi Audax, Ambrosio Guido and Ribble to name just 3. These tend to be Aluminium and require a Carbon Fork. So are these frames OK for general club run riding and fitness training up to 70 miles say. I've heard Aluminium can be harsh and I do prefer the lanes (hate main roads). Would I suffer terribly if I rode Audaxes - 200km or more?

Does anyone know of any other suitable frame which is fairly sporty but takes mudguards and isn't mega bucks?

All ideas/comments (sensible ones :evil:) welcome.

GrahamG

Guru
I think you've got it covered mainly, there's also Kinesis. Shop around for the BB repair though, and consider just getting it powder coated to keep costs down - seems a shame to scrap it.

There's also a threadless bottom bracket to try first, it might well work for you.

gavintc

Guru
I have not ridden steel for ages, so cannot really compare. However, I recently upgraded my all alu frame (including fork) Ribble to a Kinesis with carbon fork and noted a significant improvement in smoothness - much less road buzz and comfortable for a decent distance. I am uncertain whether the improvement can attributed to the carbon fork or the better frame. I note the new bike handles and corners better. Good luck with your decision.

Fiona N

Veteran
I swopped the wheels/components/seatpost and saddle from a Chas Roberts steel frame onto a Ribble Al frame with carbon seat stays and forks. The first few rides were, shall we say, eye-opening. It was like riding concrete tyres, every bump was transmitted and the road buzz felt like there was a chainsaw attached somewhere and my teeth felt like they were shaking loose.

BTW I'd only ridden steel or carbon road bikes (except for my Airnimal but that has rear suspension and even then the road buzz did give me problems with hand numbness) and frankly I was pretty horrified by the Al frame. I'm getting used to it as it's a nice fast nippy bike in other respects, but I'll not be riding it for longer trips. I'm in the market for either Ti or another C bike this summer.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
GrahamG said:
I think you've got it covered mainly, there's also Kinesis. Shop around for the BB repair though, and consider just getting it powder coated to keep costs down - seems a shame to scrap it.

There's also a threadless bottom bracket to try first, it might well work for you.

Yeah - there is a one man band (should that be Steel band?) about 30 miles away who could do the BB. He'll be quite reasonable in price but he uses Mercian for resprays. Mine's a BoB Jackson and I think I'd like to keep it in original colours/lug lining/transfers etc. So if I go that route I'll just have to grit my teeth, swallow hard and hand up the dosh.

How do threadless BB's work? I noticed one on the St John Street Cycles web site. How do they not fall out/rotate/wobble if not threaded into the frame? :wacko:

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It also sounds like the Ribble is a bit harsh as I re-read the posts above. I have a friend who had a Tifosi and liked it very much until the steerer failed and he was unable to replace the fork because in the 2 years since he bought it the steerer size had changed. :biggrin: :biggrin: Now that IS annoying :wacko:

Wocce Racer

Any good bike shop will re-thead your bb for around £25. A friend of mine had a frame re-sprayed by Vaz in SE London for around £60. If you want original transfers he can do that as well. He was very happy with the result.

http://www.cycle-finishes.com/

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'm leaning very much towards the Tifosi Audax. But I'd like 47mm drop brakes if possible. I'm still waiting for the definitive response from the suppliers on this. Meantime anyone know the answer?

Top Bottom