What freesat box to get ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What do you all do for cycling coverage ?
Its the only thing i will miss , the rest of the tv pretty much belongs to the wife + kids hence all the time i spend one here....
Seriuosly though i only have a basic connection and only a 2 gig /month cap on downloads so i assume that pretty much rules out internet tv.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Eurosport player is I think how a lot of people go + steephill etc. You'll have to check but I believe eurosport player for brits is now British Eurosport 1 + 2 + on demand and no longer includes international. This unfortunately is the same as sky/virgin where we lost eurosport international as British Eurosport 1 HD replaced Eurosport (International) HD.

Davidc

Guru
What CH says about Humax deletion times is right, but there's no need to use the file manager. Just select the programme you don't want in the Media window, select delete file and then yes, then exit or whatever else to carry on using the box while it gets on with the deletion.

Had a Sky+ box at a place we stayed earlier in the year. Neither of us could work out how to delete things and there was no instruction book so just left the few we'd recorded on the hard drive and didn't see how long it took to delete them.

One oddity yesterday that I haven't seen before on the Humax. It was recording a programme and the power failed for a short time. It didn't start recording again when the power came back 15 seconds later. This resulted in a none too pleased wife about an hour afterwards.

D

Deleted member 22722

Cyberknight, you could always keep your Sky+ box ask Sky to cancel your subscription and convert the box to freesat only. This would then be free. If you still wanted to be able to record and use live pause/rewind etc then it would cost you £10 a month with Sky.

That's what we did for a while to see if we could manage without Sky before investing in a Humax Foxsat device.

Broadside

Guru
Cyberknight, you could always keep your Sky+ box ask Sky to cancel your subscription and convert the box to freesat only. This would then be free. If you still wanted to be able to record and use live pause/rewind etc then it would cost you £10 a month with Sky.

Interesting, I didn't know you could do that. Can you still see a programme guide to set future recordings or can you just record when you hit the Record button?

D

Deleted member 22722

Yes. There's no difference in the way it works. You can hit the red button to record immediately, green to set reminders or view the full epg as you can now.

The only disadvantage to staying with Sky this way (other than still giving them a small amount of money each month) is that if you tend to scroll through the channels using the up/down programme button then it can be a pain flicking through all the scrambled Sky channels. There's no way to re-order channels or remove them from view like you can with other boxes like the Humax.

If you use the epg or set up favourites then this is a way around the problem.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Davidc

Guru
[QUOTE 2112720, member: 259"]There is a new Humax Foxast Freesat box, the HDR1000S, which is just out and which is being drooled over in the forums. It looks pretty hard to beat at the moment.[/quote]

Expensive though!

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Expensive though!
Would kind of defeat the object of cancelling sky contract.

Davidc

Guru
The on demand services (iplayer and the itv version) are there on the earlier one I have. As far as I can see all they've done is put in some fancy software to do the same thing in a slightly different format. At least with Humax it'll probably work.

The ability to transfer recordings to external media is a good idea, but I haven't needed it yet. The highest usage we've been up to was just over 40% and it usually hovers between 20 and 30%. I have copied a couple of series to another drive as a backup though. I do wonder how long the hard drive on any of these 'plus' boxes will last, as they are being thrashed all the time the machines are switched on or recording. Easy to replace but I'd not be pleased to lose everything not yet watched

Top Bottom