What good audax/rides/sportives can you recommend around Bristol?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I plan to do a few more sportives/rides in 2017 Could you recommend a few? I can comfortably ride 40 miles at the moment and can quite easily push this up

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
I plan to do a few more sportives/rides in 2017 Could you recommend a few? I can comfortably ride 40 miles at the moment and can quite easily push this up
Evans Ride It Bristol in February ( upto 100km). Tour de Bristol in April (upto 100km). Sodbury Sportive in August (upto 160km) Just type it in to search engine to go to websites.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
The "Tasty Cheddar" is in October and follows the Avon under the clifton Suspension Bridge and takes in a bit of seaside at Clevedon and returns to Bristol via the Cheddar Gorge and Dundry. If you are already up to 40 milers, then I would say you have time to step it up and get through the Tasty Cheddar by the Autumn. Cheddar is at about the 40 mile mark in a 65 mile (ish) ride, and is where the relentless hills really start.

A great route, but Garmin is almost an essential (the printed route sheet, when you get near Chew Valley Lake is full of instructions like "straight on at crossroads, unsignposted, followed by right at crossroads, unsignposted and then left at crossroads, unsignposted" etc!).

Tilley

Über Member
I rode the tasty cheddar this year, as it was my first audax I wasn't sure what to expect. Really good ride with some very challenging terrain not helped by the heavy rain. everyone friendly and supportive and not at all competitive. I also rode the Sodbury sportive and can thoroughly recommend this event. I have entered the Cotton memorial audax in January and this looks very promising as no challenging climbs. I may be entering the Evans Ride Bristol but yet to decide.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Strawberry Jam for Weston Hospicecare if it's still going: relaxed ride along a nice route from Yatton to Cheddar then Wedmore, Burnham and Weston. Lots of families on the shorter rides, but the long is up to fifty, I think.

Edited to add: it's been August before, but the hospicecare website is being replaced so no info yet.

Last edited:
U

User482

+1 for the LVIS audax. The food at the first two controls is made by the WI, and has to be seen to be believed.

shnjmsn

Über Member
The Black Rat is good........ Starts from Clifton Rugby Ground, goes over the Severn Bridge into Wales..... bit hilly but a nice challenge and very well run........ !

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
following all your great advice I have decided to do Tour De Bristol 50k on April 8th (just entered) and should set me up nicely for the Black Rat Piccolofondo 85k on May 21st. Sodbury Sportive looks good after that on August 13th.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
So the sportive calendar for me this year looks like the following: April 8th Tour De Bristol first tour so doing the 30 mile option. Following that it will be the Black Rat 85k Piccolofondo on May 21st and then the Sodbury Sportive 60 mile route on August 13th. (gradually increasing the mileage with each new sportive) This is my training: I commute each day 5 days per week on average 15 mile per day. I am trying to introduce weekend runs and over the xmas period I did 2 x 30 milers (one of these involved the rather steep climb up to Lansdown racecourse Bath) I had no trouble cycling 30 miles and could easily have continued on....so what more do I need to do to prepare myself for some of the climbs I might face on the sportives I have suggested? Anyone who has ridden could you tell me how hard they are?

Top Bottom