What GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Fred.

I use the cheapest model in the Garmin Etrex range and it does the trick for me! Have a look at some of my posts in these threads.

ColinJ

jimboalee

Hi,

Aukweb - handbook - GPS

www.aukweb.net/handbook/index.htm

I used a Garmin eTrex legend for three years. I hated the rubber bumper band, it keeps slipping off. The battery level gauge firmware is dodgy. Suffers with vibration and mine has now gone open circuit inside, :angry: - Only works off the USB power input. Car use now. ;)

I have a Garmin Edge 605 now. 15 hours battery life is the big handicap, but there are PowerMonkeys. Garmin's 'Training Center' package is pretty crap. Cannot export Track or History to MS Excel - ??? :sad::sad::sad:
Calories calculator is MILES high. :wacko:
Zip-clip mount fits FSA K-Wing handlebars :biggrin:

Randochap

Senior hunter
leather.jpg

This works well. I get 3 distance meters (1 resetable) cumulative elevation and the batteries don't run out in 8 hours or less.

The only thing you have to take care of is making sure the map doesn't get wet. Otherwise, it's worry free. :wacko:

jimboalee

Another method is to fold the routesheet so it fits in a small plastic bag.
With different colour highlight pens in a colour sequence, highlight the instructions row-by-row. This is so you can easily find the instruction you're looking for.
Fold the sheet and place it inside the CLEAR plastic bag. Elastic band it to your left forearm so you can see the instructions with their rainbow pattern highlighting.

Job's a goodun. :smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PS. It pays to have a photocopied map in a rear pocket, JIC

Randochap

Senior hunter
jimboalee said:
]Fold the sheet and place it inside the CLEAR plastic bag. Elastic band it to your left forearm so you can see the instructions with their rainbow pattern highlighting.

Job's a goodun. :blush::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PS. It pays to have a photocopied map in a rear pocket, JIC

Good advice w/ the highlighter and additional map (I meant route sheet above, BTW). Not just any plastic bag though; use a "ziplock." We provide these with the signup package on our brevets.

I don't follow with the forearm method, though. If you don't have a handlebar bag w/ map case, a route sheet caddy is in order.

And don't forget a hemet or handlebar light, to see cue sheet on longer brevets.

Noodley

I have recently purchased an orienteering arm map holder to use on audax rides, I've not used it yet since I have recently only been riding on roads I know well.

yello

fred_dillon said:
sounds like more people use a map and route guide than GPS, is that so?

Yes, probably. There are those that use GPS and it is becoming more popular, though some do not think it in the spirit of audax.

I've used the 'route sheet rubber banded to the forearm' method. I find it a tad uncomfortable; rubber bands and arm hairs don't mix (!) and it gets a bit sweaty on warm days.

Noodley

fred_dillon said:
sounds like more people use a map and route guide than GPS, is that so?

Some don't even bother with that! ;)

I usually only take the route sheet and map as a back-up, and rely on knowing the route (or finding someone who does early on in the ride :thumbsup:). I know most of the roads where I am to be cycling.

It's a bit more difficult in Englandshire where there are more roads, but some of the roads I cycle on there is only the one option. I have submitted a 200km Perm (well, it's 228km) and the route is basically left turn, right turn, left turn, left turn, left turn and reverse. 10 turns for 228km! :tongue: Hardly needs a route sheet or a map...but some gears maybe be needed since it climbs 4800m.

jimboalee

I've got a route planned.

Leave Pacifica southbound on Highway 1.
After 102 km at Santa Cruz, turn round and take Highway 1 to Pacifica.

:sad::laugh::angry::laugh::biggrin::laugh:

How about :-
From The Rising Sun PH, A452/A5, follow A5 to Llangollen.
Turn and return.

GrahamG

Guru
Funny this, I'm more than happy going with maps but the recent Arrivee article on GPS systems helped to clear a little of the fog for me and I might be tempted in future, particularly as my route sheets can get pretty damn complex in order to avoid some of the motorway style A-roads.

Top Bottom