What grease do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I have embarked in the project of building a bike.

I have pretty much all the parts so it's time to get my hands dirty.

What grease do I need? Or better, is there a do-it-all product or are different greases more suitable for particular components?

What do you recommend? :hello:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I use Halfords grease. Cheap, cheerful and does it's job.

iluvmybike

Über Member
If frame is carbon fibre or seat post is cf then you'll need some carbon assembly paste for seat post - otherwise I like the Weldtite tf2 red grease for all non-cf parts

For non moving metallic contact, copper paste is the correct stuff but in my experience normal bike grease is perfectly OK. Grease and BB assembly is a point of contention. What style of BB do you have?

Also, other info:

Frame: aluminium
Fork: carbon
Seatpost: carbon
Handlebar, stem, aerobars: aluminium

si_c

Guru
For that bike I'd use a stock tub of lithium type white grease for the metal on metal parts and for the carbon/metal I'd use fibre grip to stop any slipping - and use a torque wrench for the stem/fork and seatpost/frame bolts. You won't need to overtighten if you are using a fibre grip.

For that bike I'd use a stock tub of lithium type white grease for the metal on metal parts and for the carbon/metal I'd use fibre grip to stop any slipping - and use a torque wrench for the stem/fork and seatpost/frame bolts. You won't need to overtighten if you are using a fibre grip.
Cheers. I've read on the article in the link provided by @iluvmybike if you're using the right grease/paste you should under-tighten by 20%

Top Bottom