what happened to....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xzenonuk

Veteran
hey guys/gals just wondering what happened to bull bars/grips etc the long ones going upwards from the bars.

been out of biking for so long and tried them on my dads old ridgeback 605lx, they were awesome and comfy for cruising along, though no control of brakes and gears, what happened to them, no new mountain bikes including ours have them?

were they a fashion thing of the time or just pointless?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Do you mean Bar Ends?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Bar ends are still available but not standard fit anymore as they aren't the current fashion.

I've got them on both my main bikes and I'm a fan - they make a flat bar bike much better for long distance rides and also for climbing.
DSC01695.JPG

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I have them them on my flat bar road bike (Giant Rapid) which I bought last year and all of this years versions of that model still have them.
I find them very useful when standing and climbing, or when cruising along. Due to my large hands I can operate some of the gears and brakes are for wimps anyway.

KneesUp

Guru
You can get combined bar end and drop bar end thingummys:

858891d1388505074-fatbike-geometry-newkbarendsbig.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You can get combined bar end and drop bar end thingummys:

858891d1388505074-fatbike-geometry-newkbarendsbig.jpg
I thought newk kit went out of production long ago. Are that brand still available? I think Origin-8 do something similar. SJS have all the touring related esoterica, of course.

Top Bottom