What happens if you dont prune roses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As an experiment this year we thought we would not prune the roses but just remove the dead wood. How did we get on? Just fine. The roses are thriving. No differnt to usual.
I will prune them next April. Possibly with a chainsaw šŸ˜

Alex H

Legendary Member
I seem to remember a test done a long time ago by the RHS, pruning by chainsaw is no better or worse for roses than secateurs :ohmy: (can't find any details online though :whistle:)

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
They look great, and healthy too, with nary a hint of blackspot, unlike ours. Leafcutter bees have had a few neat bites out of my Winchester Cathedral!
I'm guessing there are some David Austin varieties in your garden?

pawl

Legendary Member
I seem to remember a test done a long time ago by the RHS, pruning by chainsaw is no better or worse for roses than secateurs :ohmy: (can't find any details online though :whistle:)

Yes I remember that report.Wish my next door neighbour had read it most of his climbing rose is in my garden..Gave it the hedge trimmer treatment yesterday.Not able to prune my shrubs till I had cleared the rose bush over growth.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
We have two climbing roses adjacent two our front window, the wife cut them back last year as the leaves were black and lots of dead wood. They look super this year, lots and lots of flowers.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Be afraid, be very afraid.

View: https://youtu.be/uV7YFGUm0PA

Top Bottom