What has gone wrong with the weather.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Aren't thunder plumps quite normal in the UK in July and August?
Yes, they are (assuming you mean plumes:whistle:).

What isn't normal, at least for my neck of the woods, is to have so many rainy and/or cool days through the alleged summer. Even the horrendous summer of 2007 (when so much flood damage was done) had more dry warm spells than this summer has so far. :blink:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
one quick shower here in SE London, but apart from that it's been a nice day with quite a bit of sunshine...

gavgav

Guru
I have just arrived back from a weekend of camping in Lynton/Lynmouth (North Devon). We had rain of biblical proportions for 8 hours yesterday. I have never seen anything like it :crazy:!! It certainly gave the waterproofing on my new tent a good test and it seemed to pass, other than bowing of the roof due to the sheer amount of rain sat in it. Soon sorted that out with a prod, and then very wet feet as it cascaded down :laugh:! Can quite see how Lynmouth flooded in the 1950's as the rain running down the main road into the village reminded me of the white water canoe course from the Olympics last week !

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Now you've got me reaching for the dictionary,
plump...a sudden fall, especially of rain.
Dunno where the connection with plume comes in.:wacko:
Haven't heard that one before. You learn something new every day.:thumbsup:

I thought you meant plume coz that is how the heaviest thunderstorms usually arrive in the UK - pushed north on a plume of hot air from France or Spain.

I confess - I follow weather forums too.:crazy:

steveoo

why dont you get yourself some waterproofs and join the rest of us!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It is 16-25 and here in Meanwood we are having our third downpour the last one had hailstones with the rain.
So come on out there in CC land,what is going on?
I have nearly polished the bike to bits not been out since i got home last week.Thunder and lightening now.

I've just spoken to my wife who told me about hailstones coming down the chimney in our house. That's nothing compared to the storm this afternoon in Budapest. The hailstones were as big as marbles and we had to run from the park and perch on some market stalls to shelter from the rain. When we looked around at fellow refugees we ask had one thing in common. We all had cans of beer in or hands and were not letting the storm interrupt our drinking for the next half hour.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It's currently twenty six degrees with an overnight low of twenty two degrees and tomorrows high will be thirty six degrees. There won't be enough beer to cool us off....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We have had lots of rain in heavy downpours in the last couple of days ... my washing has been in/out so many times and hasn't yet dried!!! But I really need a dry spell as I have a leak in my roof and the guy won't go up there until we get some dry weather (and he had such a backlog that he didn't manage to get to our roof in that fantastic weather two weeks ago).

byegad

Legendary Member
We live at the borders between two 'normal' weather systems. So as things shift North or South our weather changes, this is the normal state of UK weather:- changeable.

But the Jet stream has been running a lot further South over the UK than usual this year so we are getting the dirty side of changeable a lot more this year than normal.

This has also given drought in the US corn belt and strange weather all over the Northern hemisphere. You could put it down to the extreme end of the normal variation, or the start a new normal brought on by changes to global temperatures. Time will tell.

Top Bottom