what have I gotten myself into?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monnet

Guru
The justifications don't stop. I've given up thinking them up and just spend what I can afford.

- the money saved on public transport/ petrol for commuting
- no gym fees
- money saved from not drinking anywhere near as much
- it's my hobby, you've got to spend money on your hobby, right?
- it makes me smile. And that's what Mastercard's for, isn't it?

Of course I never add on the extras, like I have to eat twice as much. But that's different...

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I dont get it!! Why do some of you have so many bikes?
How often do you ride each one?
Or do you have one for each day of the week and a special one for the week-end?
How many bikes do you need?
Is there so much difference between each one or are you simply snobs?
I have two bikes : one racer and a MTB.
The MTB is hardly used now as I find it too heavy compared to the racer.
The MTB is sometimes used for going into town as it is only "a cheap bike".
I only ride when it is not raining as i dont want to get the racer wet and going rusty.
I only ride for pleasure so can choose when to ride.
Call me a fair weather rider, yep , thats me.
To be honest, I dont see the point in riding in the rain, I wouldn't call that fun and besides it is damn dangerous.
Come on, own up and tell me why you need so many bikes?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Go the whole hog and just have clothes specifically for riding your bike , you can then have a drawer full of lycra and no one suspects you just like wearing skin tight clothing with a sheen ....

OOh what thats just me then :whistle:

Last count 7 pairs of padded shorts, 2 bib shorts , 1 pair of tights, 2 bikesters trousers, 8 SS jerseys , 5 long sleeve base layers, 2 windproofs, 3 overshoes, 2 shoes, 6 pairs of socks, 3 long fingered gloves, 3 short fingered gloves, arm warmers, leg warmers etc etc .......

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

To be honest, I dont see the point in riding in the rain, I wouldn't call that fun and besides it is damn dangerous.

You need at leats a commuter and a weekend bike , then a back up bike, an off roader etc etc ......

I am limited to 2 by SWMBO :sad:

Ibbots

Well, in my case it's because I want to, I ride a lot and they all do different things...

I wonder how anyone can manage with less.

fewer - sorry Mum.

monnet

Guru
> why you need so many bikes?

Well there's the commuting bike which needs a rack for panniers.
A winter training bike
Race bike for, well, racing

Granted the first two could probably be merged but the arrival of the new race bike shifted the pecking order around.

Then there's the wish list. Cross bike for cross racing. Fixed, if only for early winter training. Possibly a track bike. A tourer. A Brompton (or equivalent) for when I'm visiting places and need a train friendly bike....the list goes on.

I know a couple who have 12 fully built up bikes in their garage. Plus enough spares to build another couple.

Rain's not dangerous. Granted it's not the most pleasurable weather for cycling, but it's not dangerous (unless you start sprinting over road markings).

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Ive got 3, Hybrid for work and shopping etc. Road bike for Audax ,Sportives and just road riding. Folder for slinging in the car when travelling somewhere.

My Hybrid also doubles as a tourer with rack panniers etc but its not really ideal.......

Mrs Banjo did once comment on "how can you need all those bikes when you only have one arse"? :whistle:

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
Folder for slinging in the car when travelling somewhere.

I can see one of these being an "investment" at some point. I am looking at working in another town and the place is about 4miles from the train station.

Maybe I could squeeze my Hybrid in the train, maybe I could just walk the 4miles... but I really think I will need a folder :biggrin:

Michiel

Riding in the rain isn't all that bad nor overly dangerous .. besides, you only get wet once. ;~). Having done so in the past, I usually reach a point where you possibly can't get any weather no matter what the the skies throw at you .. and at that point .. just sit up and look around you how every one is being a bunch of miserable gits .. this usually cheers me up to no end [1]. I am sure I get some right funny looks when I chortle along...

[1] - Yes I am weird like that ;)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Riding in the rain isn't all that bad nor overly dangerous .. besides, you only get wet once. ;~). Having done so in the past, I usually reach a point where you possibly can't get any weather no matter what the the skies throw at you .. and at that point .. just sit up and look around you how every one is being a bunch of miserable gits .. this usually cheers me up to no end [1]. I am sure I get some right funny looks when I chortle along...

[1] - Yes I am weird like that ;)

Same here, you can only get wet once, and skin is waterproof. Once you have got over the hangup about getting wet you can enjoy your ride no matter what the elements throw at you.

I have 4 bikes, a Dawes Galaxy tourer for well, touring around Europe and load lugging, an Audax bike for Audaxes, a go faster racing bike and a Brompton for taking on the train and bus. They all get used on a regular basis.

Top Bottom