what have I gotten myself into?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
This cycling lark is taking over! Why did I start?!

I find myself thinking of stupid crap reasons to go into town, "I wonder how much -retailer- sell -item I've no interest in- for"... "I'll go into town and have a look"... b***s**t, I'm actually making an excuse to go to a LBS and look at all the stuff I can't afford.
Then there's this sorta thing. I went to town today to find some new trousers and couple of tops etc and found myself dismissing no end of perfectly good clothing because "Those might get caught in chainrings", or "that'll flap about no end in the wind", the worst thing I found myself doing was passing on stuff because "it doesn't go with my bikes colour scheme" !!!!!!

So I've ended up with black and red shorts to go with the bike, black skin tight top thingy, shoes with no laces and a new satchel thing I have no need for but looked like it might be handy for rides

Furkz

Über Member
this happened to me a few weeks ago when i got my bike, now im skint and still at it. If you cant find something in Evans its probably in my garage.
thumbsup.png

Chris.IOW

Haha, I know this feeling. I bought my first bike back in March. By the end of April I had a special arrangement in place with the postman over what to do with the parcels when I'm out as I was getting fed up of having to collect from the sorting office!

Already seriously looking for my first next bike!

So much for my new cheap hobby!!

Sonofpear

Yep I have a similar problem. Browsing stuff online that I can't afford. Going to shops and looking at stuff I don't need. I've told the mrs I'm gonna be needing a winter bike, went down like a lead balloon. You can't afford another bike, whats wrong with the one you've got, where you gonna keep it etc etc.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
"cycling to work will save me money"

so far i'm doing worse then taking the train!!! lol. still i have lots of shiney kit to show for it...

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
I remember when I quit drinking "I'll have loads more money" thought I - Then I got into photography. I quit smoking "Loads more money" thought I - Got into cycling......

I've not "quit drinking", but near enough. If I could stop spending the money I save by not being out in pubs all the time, on my current bike and on fishing gear, I'd have one of those shiney super-duper road bikes I keep looking at already lol.

carolonabike

"cycling to work will save me money"
If I cycle to work until I retire I would still not recoup the amount I have spent. :whistle:

But I'm having a lot of fun and I do have some very smart kit :biggrin: . And, I've gone beyond the thinking about another bike for the winter stage, and have started talking about it. I'm doomed.

Tasker

So I've ended up with black and red shorts to go with the bike, black skin tight top thingy, shoes with no laces and a new satchel thing I have no need for but looked like it might be handy for rides

Shut up and just get going up that hill :hello:

Ibbots

Careful, it can get out of hand. Just worked out I have had 15 different bikes in the last 8 years - still got 5 of them, plus three frames and numerous discarded, broken out or of favour wheels, bits and components filling the shed. Couldn't tell you how many other little upgrades, tweaks and changes I have made. For a while I think I was on Wiggle's Christmas card list.

Still, I save about £800 a year on petrol.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies

I find myself thinking of stupid crap reasons to go into town, "I wonder how much -retailer- sell -item I've no interest in- for"... "I'll go into town and have a look"... b***s**t, I'm actually making an excuse to go to a LBS and look at all the stuff I can't afford.
Then there's this sorta thing. I went to town today to find some new trousers and couple of tops etc and found myself dismissing no end of perfectly good clothing because "Those might get caught in chainrings", or "that'll flap about no end in the wind", the worst thing I found myself doing was passing on stuff because "it doesn't go with my bikes colour scheme" !!!!!!

I know the feeling :biggrin: As time goes by I have got a bit more selective about my purchases....usually.

What price can you put on getting fit, and the bonus of having fun?

Top Bottom