What if you can't get to the office

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Jaguar said:
(I used to be more dedicated: when I sliced (some of) the sole off my foot I got a taxi to work, but they wouldn't allow me to be seated all day. So next day I didn't go in at all)

That's different if you are not allowed to be seated all day when you need to be.

OP... you are kidding right? It is not up to your employer to support your means of getting to work. If you don't try to get to work by other means of transport then quite frankly you would be lucky if you didn't get the sack if you are actually well enough to carry out your job. When you take a job, you take it on the understanding that you are able to get there. It's not down to your employer to be sympathetic if you're preferred method is not available to you.

Technically, you could probably get away with it for 7 days by signing self-sick... but you'd be screwed if you tried it without a doctor's note after that.

Your employer might be sympathetic if, for instance, you have a bad leg and can't drive or walk to get public transport... and some may be lucky enough to have an employer willing to pay for a taxi, but you ain't gonna get away with it by saying you can't ride a bicycle. At the end of the day (or beginning if you like) the buck stops with you.

buggi

Bird Saviour
ps... doctor's won't be signing "sick notes" soon either... it is changing to a "fit note" (i.e. the date you are fit to work... not skive off coz you can't ride a bike :biggrin:) to encourage people to return to work earlier.

OP
OP
N

NigC

buggi said:
OP... you are kidding right?

Not kidding, just asking out of curiosity. I agree with everyone else - inability to get to work is no excuse for not working.

Of course there are exceptions, such as heavy snow where travelling by any means is dangerous (my employer has closed the office a couple of times in recent years).

Sailorchick

Many years ago when I worked for Northamptonshire County Council I had to take a weeks sick as I couldn't get to work. I badly sprained my ankle falling down the stairs on the Monday morning as the cat was in the way! (she did at least sit on the sofa all day with me to make up for it)

As I lived in Milton Keynes at the time I couldn't drive, couldn't walk to the nearest bus stop (would have taken about 2 hours to get in anyway), couldn't afford a taxi and no one from work lived anywhere near me to come and get me.

Boss wasn't happy about it but nothing I could do about it as working from home wasn't an option.

When we had all the recent snow I was one of the few to make it into work as I now live a lot closer so could walk the 3.5 miles as a last resort. Others who lived just as close but normally drive failed to turn up.

jimboalee

When I was knocked off my bike during my LEJOG attempt, my arm was broken.
My arm was in plaster, so I cancelled my holiday and went to work on the bus.

I took the holiday later in the year.

Top Bottom