What inner tube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
7D068A43-BC80-40EB-8701-0DC6F1E4FE9F.jpeg

A friend has just messaged me a pic of her tyre and asked what inner tube should she buy, I’m not sure if it is a Presta or Schraeder valve, she’ll send a pic to clear that up later but I’m not familiar with 28” tyres, I’m presuming she’ll need 700c x 45, am I correct?
Edit - valve pic above, is it a Woods valve? Will Presta fit the rim?
Thanks in advance.
B1C1E3B5-BC38-4126-A7ED-E16132215960.png

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
The valve is neither, it's a Woods - commonplace on bikes in the 60s (!). But replace it with a Schrader valved tube with an ETRTO of 622-47 (number will be (say) 42-56 so 47 needs to be in the range).
ETA: This: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...hrader-inner-tube---700c-x-32-47c-806596.html
But actually, I think the Halfords own brand 622-(35-40) would be fine and might be slightly easier to fit:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...chrader-inner-tube-700-x-35---40c-525573.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
For OP: Point up to your friend she needs to have a pump with a Schrader head, or go for Presta.
I’m sure her dad has both pump heads.
@Cycleops has recommended Presta valve, wouldn’t you risk the tube poking through the rim when inflated if the rim hole is slightly bigger than Presta.?
I’ve recommended the Scrader tubes and the Halfords options you linked.

Ajax Bay

Guru
No: Presta will go through that hole. But Woods and Schrader require a one mm larger diameter drilled hole (in the rim) so if I was to use a Presta valve with that rim I'd reinforce the base of the valve with a little ring of rubber (from an unrepairable and therefore otherwise discarded tube) and use the knurled nut (provided the body of the Presta valve is threaded). The tube wont 'push through' - the spare half mm is not sufficient to allow that.

Top Bottom