What Inner tube?.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Help please guys...

I've got Schwalbe 700x25 tyres on the new bike and i really want to get some spare innner tubes but i've got no idea what all the numbers refer to, especially when searching for 700x25 doesn't always come up with the right answers.

So, where can i get spare innner tubes without spending a lot (it is only an inner tube after all) and do i need to buy Schwalbe ones or will any other brand suffice?

Cheers!

Peteaud

Veteran
pop into your lbs and ask.

inner tubes for that size will normally be marked 700 - 18/25 on the box.

700 referes to the tire diameter, 18/25 is the width

imho any brand will do, although i like Kenda

Steve H

Large Member
Hi Gaz,

Very confusing at first, but once you get your head round it, inner tubes are very simple. In a nut shell the first number (700) is the diameter of the wheel in mm and the second number is the width of the tyre in mm.

Here is a link to a site you could buy some inner tubes from:

http://http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-road-inner-tube/

There are a couple of choices to make here. First choose the width of tyre (remember its the second number). As you will see most inner tubes can fir a broad range of thicknesses of tyre. Just pick one in the range of your tyre. Second there are two types of valve. You will need to see from your tyre which one you need (Presta or Schradar). Shout on here if you can't tell the difference and we can point you in the right direction.

In answer to your question about Brand, yes you can choose any brand that comes in the right size.

martint235

Dog on a bike
You want 700 x 18 - 25C and yes you can buy any make you like. Some websites like Wiggle will differentiate between road and MTB, you need road. Other things you need to check are:

1. Your valves are presta. They probably are. They will have a little screw at the top that you unscrew to allow you to push down to deflate. This is opposed to Schraeder which are car-type valves.
2. How deep your rims are. If you're running deep rims, you'll need longer valve tubes. If you are in doubt, get long valves as I don't think there is an issue running long valves on shallow rims. There are however big issues running short valves on deep rims as in you won't be able to inflate the tube.

Alexvs

I had this dilemma after ruining an inner tube while playing with my new mini pump, was too rough and split by the valve. I went into Evans and bought a Specialized normal presta tube and found out when I got home that I should've gone for the long valve option but never mind it works. Like you say it's an inner tube after all but the Continental tubes are £3.50 online: http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/components/inner-tubes but they had none at the store which is why I got the Spec. I'm sure any brand would be fine but I'm a novice so may be wrong and if I am I apologise. As for numbers mine states 700 x 20/28 and fits my 700x25's fine.

HovR

Über Member
I've used cheap eBay brandless tubes for the past 400 miles with no issues. Around £5 for 2 or 3, which beats the £5 per tube you pay at Halfords/Some bike shops.

Top Bottom