What is a BSO?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Terms like BSO when used in the context they often are, are really quite patronising.

BSO implies a 'my bike is better than your bike' or 'my cycling is more valid than your cycling' attitude.

If I adopt the term BSO, then by the definitions shared here, my kids both ride BSO s. Yet they both love their BSOs. They both pedal good distances on them, practice road skills on them, have a continually developing awareness of safety considerations through their use, and are both learning basic maintenance skills. Both ride cheap appollo bikes.

Are they not yet cyclists?

But where is the threshold. My bike was a little bit more expensive because I ride more. I paid 260 quid for my Rockrider 520 mountain bike. Is that a BSO? In the 6 months I've had it, since replacing its 12 year old predecessor, I've rode over 1000 miles so far on it.

A Rockrider is not a BSO

OP
OP
U

User76022

If it cost less than you paid for your bike it's probably a BSO, and you get to sneer at it.

In the other hand, if it cost more than you paid, you get to tut and roll your eyes and say "all the gear and no idea".
Best answer yet lol

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Terms like BSO when used in the context they often are, are really quite patronising.

BSO implies a 'my bike is better than your bike' or 'my cycling is more valid than your cycling' attitude.

If I adopt the term BSO, then by the definitions shared here, my kids both ride BSO s. Yet they both love their BSOs. They both pedal good distances on them, practice road skills on them, have a continually developing awareness of safety considerations through their use, and are both learning basic maintenance skills. Both ride cheap appollo bikes.

Are they not yet cyclists?

But where is the threshold. My bike was a little bit more expensive because I ride more. I paid 260 quid for my Rockrider 520 mountain bike. Is that a BSO? In the 6 months I've had it, since replacing its 12 year old predecessor, I've rode over 1000 miles so far on it.

Good Grief! It's a throwaway remark. Might be applied to a youth dressed entirely in black, no lights, weaving on/off pavements on dark, wet November night. He'd be riding a BSO

Don't analyse stuff too much....

Jody

Stubborn git
Whatever you do @User76022 dont mention helmets,

4477146537_8b5f1389c1_b.jpg

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Nice one @Jody. I proper like those wasp nest helmets, but they’re too flyaway for me, if I don’t do the chinstrap up properly. And we all know important that is. Bzzzzz

mustang1

Guru
It's a bit like a PSO but for bikes.

What's a PSO then? Phone Shaped object .Pretty much anything that isn't an iPhone is total rubbish .

mustang1

Guru
It's a bit like a PSO but for bikes.

What's a PSO then? Phone Shaped object .Pretty much anything that isn't an iPhone is total rubbish .

Edit: let's continue this theme .

CSO: car shaped object. Anything that's not a BMW, mercedes, or Porsche. Everything else is rubbish .

How about hifi shaped object? The audiophiles slam Bose but it does sound good even if they use equalisers to do so .

OP
OP
U

User76022

OK. Just having a bit of fun with this now.

Can a BSO become a bike? If so how?

Can a bike become a BSO?

If a bike was once good, but is now showing serious signs of age, like worn out bearings and stretched cables and the most boney seat, and maybe a slight buckle in the wheels, and the rear derailleur is bent, is it still a bike or has it become a BSO?

Finally, if a bike or a BSO were to be carelessly parked in the path of a steam roller for example, would it end up being a BSO even if no longer bike shaped?

Top Bottom