What is a slow puncture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I mean I understand the concept that it's gradually going down rather than instantly, but what is the cause? And will it turn into a instant deflation at any point?

I'm sure my back tyre is going soft but I'm being lazy and hoping I can wait until the weekend to change it rather than doing it in the cold and dark this evening.

Will I be able to find where the air is escaping and fix it, or is it just easier to put in a new tube?

Most slow punctures do stay as slow punctures. The trouble is, if it's a really slow one, and you intend patching it, then you need a bucket of water to find the hole.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Most slow punctures do stay as slow punctures. The trouble is, if it's a really slow one, and you intend patching it, then you need a bucket of water to find the hole.
I just keep noticing the tyre as soft and I pumped it up with the track pump yesterday... (did I release too much air as I removed the head of the pump? Not sure, I didn't check), but today I noticed it as soft in comparison to the front tyre again. So pumped it up with the hand pump... but it has reminded me I need to pump it up again now I'm home...

the_mikey

Legendary Member
The last time I had a slow puncture it was caused by a great big thorn that had penetrated through the tread of a Schwalbe Durano tyre, effectively a great big puncture but the release of air was blocked by the thorn. I only found this after a finding the pressure on the tyre unusually low two days in a row. Also dust/dirt in the valve can sometimes cause some air to escape. Sometimes shards of glass don't quite make a deep enough cut to rip the tyre or tube but can make a tiny hole in the tube which leaks slowly.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
To answer the OP, well, they are just teeny holes - what causes them? I dunno, teeny things, I suppose! Annoying though and @Flying Dodo is right about that bucket!

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Try the valve first with some water, most of my slow punctures have been at the valve.
I assume if it's the valve then that's definitely a new tube time.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The last slow puncture I had was caused by a tiny slither of glass which took some finding, both the hole in the tube and the glass in the tyre.

Wet weather can complicate matters, the little slither that stays safely embedded in the tyre in the dry punctures the tube when the lubricating effect of the rainwater allows it to move.

When fixing, try to keep a note of the tyre/tube alignment, so you at least have a section of tyre to look at.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The last slow puncture I had was caused by a tiny slither of glass which took some finding, both the hole in the tube and the glass in the tyre.

Wet weather can complicate matters, the little slither that stays safely embedded in the tyre in the dry punctures the tube when the lubricating effect of the rainwater allows it to move.

When fixing, try to keep a note of the tyre/tube alignment, so you at least have a section of tyre to look at.
Yes I'm pretty practiced at that... having learnt in the past that it's much harder to find if you have to search the entire tyre.

U

User6179

I assume if it's the valve then that's definitely a new tube time.

Not always, if it is high pressure with a removable core then it might just need tightening the core, some tubes are quite bad for the core loosening when you unscrew the pump connector.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not always, if it is high pressure with a removable core then it might just need tightening the core, some tubes are quite bad for the core loosening when you unscrew the pump connector.
Could you explain that one? It's a presta valve if that helps.

classic33

Leg End Member
large-bore-valve-core.jpg

For Presta valves, I'd clear the valve with more air(re-inflating) then checking it's not leaking from there.

Top Bottom