What is it for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I got a swift reply to my email:

"Do you mean the plastic spoke guard? This is fitted to meet CEN standards, but if the rear gears are set up properly, it's a redundant piece of plastic. Most of them are removed before the bike gets used. We've had some bikes through with smaller road-sized guards on, but this
still prevents the chain dropping far down enough to jam."

Seems reasonable enough, although if a smaller guard was all that was needed why don't they make them all like that?

Destry

Mr Pig said:
Pits eh? You'll just need need to pop a spoon into the foil of a fresh coffee jar and put fresh cotton sheets on your bed to make up for it ;0)

Good thoughts, Mr Pig, but whatever it does, the frisbee thing is toast!

RedBike

The smaller guard might stop the chain dropping between the cassette and the wheel. However, it wont stop the rear mech hitting the spokes. Looks like they've fitted the wrong one but couldn't be bothered to change it!

If the limit screw is set correctly then the you will need to have knocked (damaged) your rear mech for it to hit the spokes. I've never done this on my road bike; but i've managed it a few times now on the MTB.

It's actually a fairly common problem, which is why frames have replaceable rear mech hangers!

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

RedBike said:
Looks like they've fitted the wrong one but couldn't be bothered to change it!

Yip. The bikes are made in Taiwan so they don't even touch them! I'm not bothered about it but if the chain ever did crash into the spokes they'll hear about it big time ;0)

That's one omission, my bike dosn't have a bolt-on derailier hanger. I know it's a steel frame but I still think they're a good idea. As you say, it's a common thing, a bashed derailier.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
the plastic thing does nothing. its a complete waste of time. They should be removed from every bike as soon as possible.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

User259iroloboy said:
I believe it is to keep crud out of the cassette, not intended to stop the chain hitting the spokes.

But crud comes 'off' the cassette! If you'd said it was to keep oil from the cassette off the wheel I might've believed you ;0)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Mr Pig said:
Yip. The bikes are made in Taiwan so they don't even touch them! I'm not bothered about it but if the chain ever did crash into the spokes they'll hear about it big time ;0)

That's one omission, my bike dosn't have a bolt-on derailier hanger. I know it's a steel frame but I still think they're a good idea. As you say, it's a common thing, a bashed derailier.

If it's a steel frame, the mech hanger can be pulled back into line. You can't do that with alloy or carbon.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

TheDoctor said:
If it's a steel frame, the mech hanger can be pulled back into line. You can't do that with alloy or carbon.

Yes, but if you bend it out in the countryside, which is most probable, you can't just swap the hanger and carry on. You're stuck! Or not 'stuck', but you've got a bigger problem.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Mr Pig said:
Yes, but if you bend it out in the countryside, which is most probable, you can't just swap the hanger and carry on. You're stuck! Or not 'stuck', but you've got a bigger problem.

If you carry a spare hanger around with you, that is. I don't. Maybe I should!:sad:

Nick1979

Steve Austin said:
the plastic thing does nothing. its a complete waste of time. They should be removed from every bike as soon as possible.
After reading this thread, and having seen I was the only one on my club run to have one, I decided to remove it from my bike :-)
Now the big question: how? Do I have to remove the cassette?? (I don't have the tools) Or should I just cut the plastic thingy?

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Nick1979 said:
Do I have to remove the cassette?? (I don't have the tools) Or should I just cut the plastic thingy?

I would just leave it alone, it's not really doing any harm is it?

If you want to take it off in one piece then yes, you'll need to remove the cassette...actually I think you might need to remove the free-wheel/free-hub too. It's not hard but yes, you need special tools to get them off. Handy tools to have but I wouldn't buy them just to get the plastic whatsit off.

I doubt if you could break it off without either damaging the spokes or ending up with a daft bit left in there that you can't get at. I'd either take it off properly or leave it alone.

Top Bottom