What is the 'best' camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I am going to get a camera and use it in self defence against morons. I would like it to be lieghtweight, battery operated and dc chargeable, capable of filming a long ride ...is 4 hours an option??
It needs to be easy to drive, helmet and bar mountable, waterproof, and record quality video and sound sufficiant for police to use if needed as evidence.
So...where should I start?

The atc 2000 and the Archos system I currently have probably aren't for you, especially if you are looking for 4 hours. I suppose you could go for the 605 plus camera and get a second battery.

However, there are lots of options. Two good websites to look at (although beware of some of the prices!) are www.actioncameras.co.uk and www.dogcamsport.co.uk

These sites have lots of information on the specs of the camera systems etc.

My ideal would be the POV.1. Not cheap though!!:rolleyes:

How much were you thinking of spending?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Thankyou.

I have no idea about the spec/cost etc...at this point except that cheap =better as usual so long as it does the job.

Looking at this;

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/ATC-2000.html

it seems to be ok...sure it doesnt cover 4 hour rides...maybe I was being unrealistic there. if it it easy to turn on and off whilst riding I could keep it off on low traffic roads and turn it on when I get to a busy road to save battery life?

the POv1 looks cool but £500 is out of the question.

One thing i would hope for is that just the sight of the camera on my helmet might (dreams on) make whitevancowardman think twice.

derall

Guru
I've recently started using the ATC2000, and I'm very pleased with the results (still editing so haven't posted any clips yet). I am recording at the best resolution (640x480 and 30 fps) and get 1hr 2 mins on a 2GB SD card. 2 x AA (2500mAh NiMH) rechargeable batteries last long enough to record 1 card. I usually switch off on long quiet sections where there's unlikely to be any moron-drivers (or where there's no interesting scenery). Card and battery changes are quick and easy so I usually stop half-way through the ride for new card & batteries. Record at a lower resolution or lower frame rate and you could double or triple the record time on the card.

Bit awkward operating with winter gloves, but otherwise easy to set up. Few problems with rattle on the helmet mount initially, but sorted with some trial and error. If you mount on the handlebar, don't expect to get any usable sound (thanks to PBT and AndyGates for the suggestions)

davidtq

What batteries are you guys using?

Im getting 6 hours recording at maximum quality from one charge of the batteries on my atc2000....

Im using these :-http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-Supreme-AA-Rechargeable-pack/dp/B000G1662O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207654458&sr=8-1

Which claim to have a longer life in digital devices seems pretty crazy that people are getting one or two hours out of cheaper rechargebles though... My batteries have been consistantly delivery 6hours plus since january.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
The atc 2000 and the Archos system I currently have probably aren't for you, especially if you are looking for 4 hours. I suppose you could go for the 605 plus camera and get a second battery.

However, there are lots of options. Two good websites to look at (although beware of some of the prices!) are www.actioncameras.co.uk and www.dogcamsport.co.uk

These sites have lots of information on the specs of the camera systems etc.

My ideal would be the POV.1. Not cheap though!!:wacko:

How much were you thinking of spending?

I have a 605 and you can't replace the battery on it. You CAN buy a 'battery dock' which is a rechargeable cell with the added bonus of a USB port and a video out socket, but you can't then plug the helmet-cam adapter into it.

I have read that the battery dock might 'recharge' your 605 internal battery if left plugged in for a while, but you'd be better checking the Archos users' forums for advice on that as I can'r remember the exact details. If it does recharge it, you can unplug the helmetcam adapter, plug in the battery during the day and then it'll be charged up again for the ride back.

Top Bottom